Ama Dablam

TheNumberNine

Hi folks,

I've been doing some research into doing Ama Dablam at some point in the next year or two...

I'm headed to Patagonia in December and my next big mountain goals are Foraker, Ama Dablam, and Cho Oyu.

I posted on Cho Oyu on here recently and have gotten some interest from other CC members but it seems that Cho Oyu is going to cost a lot more money than Ama Dablam and looks to be much more of a slog. I'm still interested in Cho Oyu but financially speaking, Ama Dablam appears more financially feasible.

Anyone have any experience climbing Ama Dablam? What's the permit cost like?

Also, I found this company, SummitClimb (google it) that sets up pretty much everything from transport, to food, to permits and liason officers, sherpas at a seemingly reasonable fee... basically all the logistical stuff but IT IS NOT a guided expedition.

I'd be interested in putting things together myself but it seems like a logistical nightmare and the convenience of someone organizing all the preliminary details sounds nice.

Thoughts? Experiences?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If by SummitClimb you mean Dan Mazur, I can recommend them. I know Dan personally and he has impeccable high altitude guiding credentials. His trips tend to be good value and well suited to clients who do not require white glove levels of service. I have not been on his trips but if I had the time and money I would choose his company for several Asian climbing objectives.

I don't have anything helpful, but I've seen Ama Dablam and it is easily the most aesthetic peak in the region. I think it's a little beyond me in the next couple of years, but best of luck and I look forward to hearing how it goes!