accident at Vantage?

mrastocks

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A climber decked from 25 - 30 feet up on a trad route a few pillars left of Tangled Up in Blue, not sure of the route name. He said he landed on his feet. He never lost consciousness, was neurologically intact, chief complaint was low back pain. He did hit his head and had a laceration on his face, but seemed in remarkably good shape considering. I think they were going to fly him to Spokane. There was great response from all the climbers out there and fortunately a couple of them had extensive medical training.

Best wishes to the injured party for a speedy recovery .

Witnessed the fall from the top, the climber did say he hit his feet first, but I only remember seeing him impact the belay ledge on his back and take a secondary hit to the side of his head/face. The impact looked severe but he really was in great condition considering. He had climbed a few feet above his fourth piece when his foot slipped and he fell; the top piece failed and the biner gate on his third was open. His wife was belaying and handled everything remarkably, even keeping him on belay after the fall so he wouldn't continue the fall off the belay ledge. The response from the climbers present really was great. So glad of the safe outcome... it was a scary fall.

I was also on scene and was likewise impressed at how well the climber, his wife and the bystanders handled the incident. He climbing on Crackmaster Lambada.

It would be nice to hear an update on how he's faring if anyone knows.

Edited by mwcjak

I was around the corner when someone shouted out for a doctor. They seemed rather calm about it so we didn't realize immediately that someone had taken a serious fall. When I spoke with a medic involved, he mentioned that the climber's vision kept on going to the right. They initially were thinking of putting the climber on a litter and walking him down a scree slope to the ambulance at the end of Echo valley but decided that getting him to the chopper would be a better tactic. The chopper landed on the level ground just below the gulley access to the Sunshine wall and the climber was loaded onto the chopper while in the litter.

I looked up Crackmaster Lambada that someone here said he was on. It's a 5.10b trad climb. Trad climbs are essentially alpine climbs with the same severity to a slightly lesser degree (meaning medical help is typically close by) if sh*t happens. Most people at Vantage were climbing with helmets but there were a few that climbed without brain buckets. Broken legs are easier to mend than a cracked skull.

I don't know the climber but I bet he'll make sure his pieces are bomber once he's back on the rock. I hope he's on the way to a speedy and full recovery.

Edited by Saffron

"OOh, someone got hurt? Let's all talk about what "lessons" we can learn!" What a bunch of bullshit.

It's neat, cause you can simultaneously pretend to be concerned while rubbernecking the accident from the comfort of your computer AND subtly letting everyone know how much more you know about climbing. Brilliant!

If I'm ever hurt in a lead-fall, I hope you drama-hounds never find out about it.

"OOh, someone got hurt? Let's all talk about what "lessons" we can learn!" What a bunch of bullshit.

It's neat, cause you can simultaneously pretend to be concerned while rubbernecking the accident from the comfort of your computer AND subtly letting everyone know how much more you know about climbing. Brilliant!

If I'm ever hurt in a lead-fall, I hope you drama-hounds never find out about it.

Out of coffee this morning?

Out of coffee this morning?

Nope Rob is always an opinionated dick who does no wrong.

Couple lessons here. No helmet on leader

Z-Man...Aaron Zabriskie? How about some more information to back up your statement. Like:

- Were you on scene?

- Did you actually observe these claimed behaviors?

- Did you do anything to help?

If you can't substantiate what you're saying, it's a good idea to refrain from speculation and propagating rumor. Reconstructing a climbing accident is complicated enough without misinformation from anonymous voices in the peanut gallery.

comments regarding no helmet aren't true. I was there - he had a helmet on. as for other details, I didn't see or observe enough to comment.

hoping everything works out for all those involved.

as a newer trad leader I hope to gain some insight from what happened - hope I don't have to sift through too much junk here to do so.

One lesson for Vantage trad: place good pro and place it often. It is fragile rock and you are never that far off the ground when you consider the consequences of pulling a piece or two.

And years ago there was a serious accident where a belayer with a helmet was hit by loose rock right under the helmet line.

We can do our best but we can't eliminate all danger unless we stay home and of course never drive.

Edited by matt_warfield

I wish the injured climber a speedy and full recovery.

I wish to thank everyone who took time and effort to assist in rescue/evac.

I wish the rest of you good luck in rationalizing to yourselves that something like this will never happen to you because you're too (choose one or more: smart/sober/experienced/young/old/hairy).