Hood conditions right now?

ulvetano

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

bad idea

I disagree. We haven't had a shit show, media circus, rescue effort on Hood in several months. Let's get the season started off right!

Don't forget your Tauntaun, MLU, PLB, cell phone and steel "signalling" cable. Remember, "Y" means yes there are climbers here.

BTW...there's a sticky thread at the top of the Oregon forums that is a much better place to ask stupid questions like this and you won't even get flamed. At least by me.

Good luck. Looking forward to your TR.

Dayum. There's probably only a thin, icy layer of snow coating 800' of steep, very loose volcanic crap up there right now, OP. might be worthwhile to hike up and look, but I wouldn't get too close unless your pretty sure of yourself. There's a lot of extremely experienced local climbers who won't be going anywhere near that slag heap for a month yet.

...was hoping to climb Hood via the standard Hogsback route this Sat.

...surprised it's so untouchable in off season. Must be some climb'able routes despite poor off season conditions. Or not?

It has been cold and windy all week and the upper portions of Hood have probably received 2' of snow the last few days. This means lots of wind slabs will have formed. Predictions show continued snow Friday and Saturday with winds 45 to 50 mph during a warming trend.

avalanche?