SI Joint Recovery

fwf2

no worries, i just got back from a trip exhausted and was being butt hurt.

There are a TON of really really awful chiropractors and spoil the education they receive. All the "quacky" stuff is not taught in the schools, but learned to survive in business (or they are just stupid). I hate about 90% of my profession too and if I could switch diplomas, I would.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny that this became another thread seeing as I started one a while back...

My SI is flaring up this week... STUPID STUPID STUPID

Things that helped me with my SI joint issue.

1. Avoid awkward twisting movements

2. When it flares up, alternate with heat and ice. My girlfriend's heating pad worked WONDERS on me.

3. Arnica gel is great. I use it on anything that hurts and it seems to speed up the healing process... Neck, SI, IT band problems, etc.

4. STRENGTHEN CORE.. This made such a huge difference and has led to months at a time without any SI issues whatsoever... When I slack on the core conditioning, issues seem to come back.

5. Google/youtube SI strengthening/SI Rehab exercises

SI problems suck but they seem to respond well to aggressive and proper treatment. I'm not a doctor, but these are things that have worked for me in the past and things I will continue to do when mine bugs me. Good luck.

Thanks for the input. I have a lot to consider and it is time to try some of these suggestions.

One question, though. Is an SI Joint injury the type that will flare up for most people from time to time? I understand the need to keep the core strong etc. to prevent it from reoccuring. However, is this (hopefully) something that most people do not experience reoccurences?

Also, I think I will approach my PT or doctor about the following medical restrictions:

"Paul is not to do any housework or yardwork for the next 5 years due to the ackward twisting movements involved. Paul is to spend at least two (preferably three) weekends a month hiking and/or climbing. Multiday trips are required at least six times a year."

If I am going to suffer with the pain of this thing, I think there should be an upside of some sort . . . ;)

Thanks again for all the input.

Can only go on my experience - your mileage may vary. But - I did have a couple setbacks the year after the initial problem, which I now attribute to me just figuring out what works best for me. Mixing it up, yoga and cross fit - good. Too much gardening and skiing the trees on hard/fast snow (too much twisting) - not good. I know two other folks with SI issues and the base we all seem to start with is we gave up running.