SI Joint Recovery

fwf2

I injured my "lower back" last March and after a couple of months of resting it, I finally went to a Sports Medicine doctor. After an xray and a quick exam, he determined that my SI joints (where the spinal column goes through the pelvis) were misalligned. He also noted that one leg was 3/4 of an inch shorter than the other leg due to this condition. He realligned my legs and the SI joints and I was sent to physical therapy.

After several months of PT (and a recheck by the doctor) I was deemted to be stable and the SI joints were still aligned. The PT consisted mostly of core work (focusing on the abs) and certain leg/hip stretches.

It has been three months since my last PT appointment. I still do the exercises and stretches and have done limited hiking. However, the joints themselves and the area of the back between the joints is still sore. Also if I do low back activity in a crouching position (think crouching and twisting side to side to do yardwork) the whole area flares up for a couple of days. Also, a high step with a moderate pack on a late summer climbing trip also torqued both joints.

Anyone have any experience with a similar injury? I want to get back to full activity by January. I am planning a recheck with the PT people. Any other treatment options I should consider (a good friend and climbing partner suggested accupunctre)??

Thanks . . .

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the advice. I read through the thread from last year and it gave my some things to think about. I am inclined to summarize all this and revisit my PT (and then go from there).

I have been taking Omega 3 supplements (720 mg) for the last 6 months or so. I have taken Glucosamine and Chondroitin for several years now. It did wonders for my dog in her middle years and extending her hiking for a number of years.

Rob, the Sports Medicine doctor I originally saw did the initial realignment of my si joint and legs, which were 3/4 inch off. The PT did some additional realignment as the first few times I was in for PT, the legs were 1/4 inch out of line.

Thanks again . . .

SI disfunction is usually (unless you suffer trauma) due to severe muscle imbalances in the pelvic area and legs. Also it's a lifestyle issue (prolonged periods of sitting) and chronic stress combined. Looking for a "silver bullet" solution is completely futile and usually doesn't bring desired results.

You can contact me via pm if you want some specific pointers.

Thanks again for all the input. I put all my current symptoms, advise I gleaned from all your input, and some other of my own thoughts down on paper. My current plan is to take this into my PT and go over it with him.

The pain is generally just more annoying than anything else. However, it is limiting my activity and it cost me and a fine friend a summit this year. Life is too short . . .

Again, thanks for the input.

Supplements are little more than wive's tales for joint issues. See these:

Omega 3 ---but good for heart

Glucosimine - maybe minor effects, maybe.

As an owner of chronic SI issues the best advice is - don't run for exercise, or if you really have to, limit it to trails or stair-running. Do cross-fit. This has really helped me keep my back stable. See the workout of the day and modify accordingly - see advice if you are not used to some of the weight exercises. crossfit.com

Vary it - ride, hike, climb, swim (ugh!), run stairs, lift.

Find a trusted PT for when you need some tweaking.

I'm sure everyone has something that has worked for them - this is what has helped me. Persevere - it will get better with work. I had one year where I just could not get out much, but now I'm basically unlimited - but I choose not to run so to extend my other activities as I approach 60. Oh - and drink wine.

I'd go along with most of Jim's advice.

Specifically, don't rely on rest to fix it - just leads to atrophy and imbalance.

Running is not great, but for me the bad actor was soccer! In addition to the inevitable collisions, just kicking the ball puts a LOT of stress on the hips. Hated to give it up because it's such a great rain/shine winter activity.

Also, stay away from chiropractors

Agreed. While, maybe, there a some out there that know what to do with an SI joint, my survey of about 10 or so, concludes they apply standard techniques from the same playbook that do not help, and may aggravate the issue. That said, I've had them sucessfully help me with other back issues.

Most of the time there is nothing to "reset" in a sprain/strain. It's a soft tissue injury.

Granted, this is my experience, but I've probably been to about 25 chriopractors over that many years (congential issues) and you come into their office with a lower back issue and they all do the same maneuver with limited diagnosis. Maybe some are more sophisticated, but I haven't run into them.

Chiropractic is amazing, if their self-taught spiritualist founder could cure deafness with a simple spinal adjustment I'm sure they can handle your SI problems in a "snap" (see what I did there?). But you might need to come back at least once a month for the rest of your life. Wait, you have insurance, right?

What do they call alternative medicine once it is proven?

Medicine

Yup, I'd say that's a logical and well-reasoned umbrella defense of all alternative medicines. Good job, I'm convinced! I'm gonna go buy some magnets, now. Palmer was super into them, too :tup:

I'd go along with most of Jim's advice.

Specifically, don't rely on rest to fix it - just leads to atrophy and imbalance.

Running is not great, but for me the bad actor was soccer! In addition to the inevitable collisions, just kicking the ball puts a LOT of stress on the hips. Hated to give it up because it's such a great rain/shine winter activity.

I also suffered from soccer as well. Nothing like getting chopped from behind or the side and making all of those jerky movements to put stress on the joints.

Plus two of the advantages we have on the animal world are our brains and our opposable thumbs. In soccer we beat on the former by heading the ball and we don't use the latter hardly at all. Ironic that it is the most popular human sport.

Edited by matt_warfield

aw, don't be like that, I'm sorry. I shouldn't be such a dick. You gotta admit that straight-up palmer stuff is kinda retarded, though. Are you a "mixer?"

I know plenty of people that swear by their chiropractor. Sorry to take over the thread.

I know plenty of people that swear by their chiropractor. Sorry to take over the thread.

Ditto, including myself for some mid-back scoliosis creaks once in a while. I would not, however, expect any decent diagnosis or treatment for SI issues.