TFT in winter

OlegV

I took the photo on a ski trip of Torment's NW Glacier. The traverse definitely looked doable, but you would need just the right conditions to make it worthwhile. In good ski conditions (how we found it), it took us about 30 minutes to wallow 150' up the summit pyramid from its base. Firm , icy conditions would be required. I don't think it would be easier in Winter than it is in Summer FWIW.

That was a hell of a trip, Tom. The basin looks very much like AK! I see the point people made about the difficulty of the traverse. One can traverse on the snow and bipass all the towers. I am not sure it will count as the TFT though.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The rock is just fine (by Cascades standards), at least on the north side detours that most folks use when not on the crest.

That looks like quite the stout winter objective. Good practice for some of the bigger AK objectives I suppose....

The Cassin or The Pioneer ridge!

I'd say that it might be fun and easy in some conditions and hard and scary in others. Most likely though it would be fun and scary and sometimes monotonous and cold and really too warm and there would be hard snow and soft snow and rocks loose and solid and cornices and sun and clouds and you would change your socks and drive home tired and a little proud and a week later you wouldn't think about it much and three years later you wouldn't even be sure if it ever really happened that way or if it even happened at all.

This might be one of my favorite posts of all time! So very, very true.

I'd say that it might be fun and easy in some conditions and hard and scary in others. Most likely though it would be fun and scary and sometimes monotonous and cold and really too warm and there would be hard snow and soft snow and rocks loose and solid and cornices and sun and clouds and you would change your socks and drive home tired and a little proud and a week later you wouldn't think about it much and three years later you wouldn't even be sure if it ever really happened that way or if it even happened at all.

There you have it...so what are you waiting for Oleg!? ;)

Classic! I'm gonna save this one and pull it out when needed (for motivating self or potential partners).

Tom,

If your partners bail, pm me.

When I attempted the F.W. ascent of the South Face of Forbidden, I scoped the traverse. It would go in winter. I'm not a fan of traverses but this could be a fun diversion from waterfall climbing and bolt clipping.