What if TLT5s don't fit?

Jason4

I'm a splitboarder and I have a problem...

I'd like to make the jump to hardboots this year for long days in the skin track and for the spring split mountaineering adventures. I'm looking to lose the weight of strap bindings, improve side hilling, pick up more secure automatic crampons, and reduce the width of the boots for skinning and crampon security.

Of course, the obvious answer is TLT5s but the more I try them on the lower my hopes are that they will ever fit my feet. I was able to try on Dynafit the Ones and Black Diamond Swifts last night and the Ones won't work for me either but the BDs seems like a decent fit out of the box. I'm thinking about picking up a pair of the closeout Primes that I've seen on the internet but reading reviews of them, especially the Cold Thistle review has me second guessing myself. Someone else has already modded the Primes for split use and they can be had for a good price. What else am I missing that's similarly soft or softer, is lighter, and will fit a wide (maybe high volume) foot?

My fit issues come from my dead flat arches. My feet are the widest at the midfoot where my missing arch should be. The TLT5s left me feeling like the sole of my foot was floating because I was effectively chaulked between the two sides of the boot and just hanging. The One was better but still not doable for more than 20 minutes. The Swift didn't have that feeling but my toes felt a little squeezed but not bad.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd recommend trying a couple more brnds that make AT boots. Garmont and Scarpa come to mind. Each makes light touring boots and you're bound to find a good fit. Also sounds like you might want to look into custom orthotics. If you find a boot that otherwise fits aside from your arch problems, I've seen this work really well for others.

I tried on a pair of the BD Slants last week and the fit was much better than the TLT5. I'm assuming that the Prime will be the same fit as the Slant so I ordered a pair of the closeout Primes that are floating around on the web. Hopefully all this will work out and I'll have a more efficient split set up.

The Zzeros and similar boots seemed to be too stiff, as a splitboarder I'm looking to the softest end of the AT boot spectrum and as light as possible. I'll report back after I get my kit together.

Yep, I'm the same one, somehow I've managed to get the same (fairly generic) name on all the forums I'm on. I've followed your thread and mod descriptions on SB.com. It actually sounds like you've gone softer than I want to go but I'll probably follow down a similar path. I'd be interested in pictures of the slits cut in the lower boot and if you're ever up this way it might be enlightening to try your boots on if they are close enough in size to get an idea of how far I can go with it. Thanks for the help.