Probably paranoid but...(slings & rope question)

TheNumberNine

Some guys working on my house right now were using some paint thinner to clean up a little bit of paint around the floorboards of the hallway... My room with my climbing gear is near where they were working, cams inside of a backpack, rope coiled in the corner of the room. None of my gear touched the paint thinner but I walked into my room and I could smell the paint thinner. I brought my cams into another room and put my rope in a pack out of paranoia.. They say that car battery acid fumes can weaken slings by 90%... Should I be concerned?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Severity will depend on the nature of the solvent, the concentration to which gear was exposed, and the duration of exposure. Sounds like your diligence minimized the latter two. When Dru tells you to send you his gear for testing, you know you're OK.

Unless there is direct contact there should be little risk.

The bigger issues are aging, wear and tear, dirt and grime because it causes extra friction, and sun exposure.

You could ask Dan Osman or Todd Skinner but they are both dead due to those issues.

You are alive but paranoid.

Edited by matt_warfield

The bigger issues are aging, wear and tear, dirt and grime because it causes extra friction, and sun exposure.

You could ask Dan Osman .... but they are both dead due to those issues.

This is nit-picking, but that's not accurate. By nearly every account I've read, the consensus is that Osman's ropes melted due to friction from crossed/entangled ropes.

Just saying....