[TR] Thomson (Thompson) - West Ridge 10/6/2012

KaskadskyjKozak

Trip: Thomson (Thompson) - West Ridge

Date: 10/6/2012

Trip Report:

Great fall weather, short days. Options? My friend JP and I thought Thomson would fit the bill.

We met at the ungodly hour of 4:45 and headed up to the pass. Headlamps out of the parking lot until nearly Kendall Catwalk. I rocked out on the iPod to pass the monotony, while JP ran ahead of me most of the way. We could smell the smoke from the rampant east side fires even in town, and as the sun rose, we saw there would be a lot of haze, and campfire-like odors all day.

The boulder field was less annoying than I last remembered it, but we chose a line to the right, almost abutting the wall of rock and that made for more firm ground.

P1020103.JPG

The short section of class 4 before the notch got the blood pumping, but not enough to thaw our numb fingers. By the time I was roped up and leading out I was shivering a bit. It was 11 am.

The first two pitches are great fun. We managed to not drop anything substantial on each other, just a biner I dropped. JP seemed to enjoy pitch 2 and 4, although he did ramble a bit on each. I led the first, the slabs, and short finish.

JP stemming on the 2nd pitch:

P1020108.JPG

This route has some great exposure. I tried to take a couple shots on the second pitch to show it, but these don't do it justice, I am afraid:

P1020111.JPG

P1020113.JPG

JP follows on the slab pitch:

P1020116.JPG

JP leading on the fourth pitch:

P1020120.JPG

KK leading out on the finishing pitch:

P1020123.JPG

We had the mountain all to ourselves, not seeing anyone until we were on the way down. We did two short raps and scrambled the rest. The boulder field on the East side was as horrible as I remember.

Great lighting from the descent:

P1020141.JPG

The day reversed itself, with the sun setting just past Kendall Catwalk. Headlamps again. And iPod. This morning the plantar fasciitis was in full-effect.

Sunset over Snoqualmie Pass:

P1020151.JPG

Gear Notes:

Small alpine rack, helmet, iPod.

Approach Notes:

Dry, dusty.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice report and photos. I tried to take a buddy up to do that one time, but the weather never cleared (i.e. it kept raining and snowing higher up), nor did I didn't find the "Bumblebee" notch to get over the Ridge to the boulderfield approach. You confirmed one thing though, which is that it is a VERY full day!