Fast N Lite Packs

B Deleted_Beck

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mec.ca has some cheapos ready made.

I'm coming out of a phase of trying to go as cheap as I can... what I found was that spending $75 instead of $200 very frequently results in spending $275.

:tup:

Not to mention the hassles when your cheap gear fails you miles from nowhere...

mec.ca has some cheapos ready made.

I'm coming out of a phase of trying to go as cheap as I can... what I found was that spending $75 instead of $200 very frequently results in spending $275.

:tup:

Not to mention the hassles when your cheap gear fails you miles from nowhere...

Whatever. mec makes stuff that lasts. Simple but effective. But you can spend your money how you see fit.

While I would like a Cilo gear pack, I have had a lot of success with the much cheaper Vaude packs. I generally have used the pack for long alpine routes, but a larger size definitely would make for a good 1.5 day pack. For the smaller size (20-30L), there is a plastic piece in the pack that I removed, making the pack the lightest I have found. This also allows the pack to stow easily inside another pack for longer trips. My last Vaude pack lasted 4 years (heavy use). I just replaced it as it finally got a hole on the outside after dragging it up one too many chimneys.

Second Ascent has a few of these packs if you want to check them out.

Here is the one similar to what I use:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/vaude-rock-ultralight-35-backpack-internal-frame~p~4184v/?filterString=climbing-bags-and-packs~d~45%2FVaude~b~21230%2F&colorFamily=02

MH Summit Rocket 40

Golite Jam 35

BD Speed 40

BD Epic 45

Thoughts/experiences on these?

Golite - I ordered one and sent it back, too much mesh that would collect snow and no good place for crampons. Like someone else said, not really designed for climbing.

BD Speed 40 - Have one that I've used a fair amount, Like the shape, roll top, removable waist belt padding (wish the gear loops stayed on the webbing though), big expansion sleeve. Don't like the rope strap, frame sheet (collapses if pack not loaded just right) finally decided I don't like the string axe holders, just too delicate.

BD Epic 45 - Considered but too heavy.

I also have the WT Guide Pack that Kurt Hicks suggested. My thermorest prolite 3 pad (womens :blush:) folded up into 1/8th replaces the factory pad that serves as the frame. Really like this pack and it's become my go to alpine pack.

I do like the design of the Cilo Gear packs and will probably check them out when I need a new one.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't speak for Ben but I picked up a Cilogear 45L Worksack earlier this year for a trip up Rainier. When it arrived I liked the construction (except for the goofy strap arrangement) and thought I had my next go to pack. However when I loaded it with my anticipated load (about 37 pounds) I just could not get a comfortable fit. I had both the standard aluminum / plastic framesheet as well as the new "AirBeam" framesheet and couldn't get them to carry the load properly. With 25-27 pounds it felt fine but with anything over 30 pounds the pack felt like it was sagging.

Consequently I never used the pack for it's intended purpose (look for it in the Yard Sale forum soon).

For what its worth I have a CCW Valdez and absolutely love it. Randy made some minor modifications for me at no additional cost and it has always been one of my favorite packs. The construction is absolutely bomber, its relatively light weight and has all of the features typically needed in a climbing pack. At only $115 list price its a killer deal as well.

One caveat, the volume at 40L is a bit deceiving if compared to the CiloGear 45L worksack. The CCW volume is significantly less as compared with the CiloGear pack. I think the 40L is accurate compared to most other 40L packs but I think the CiloGear 45L designation is somewhat understated.

How about the new Warthog 38L from Blue Ice?

38L & 890g

http://www.blueice.com/products/en/26-warthog-38l.html

I haven't seen one, but my 26L Warthog is one of the best climbing and carrying packs I've ever used (and I have used a CiloGear). It's burly, simple and light. My only complaint is the lack of an easy, quick attachment method for modern tools. The 38L looks just as good...

Edited by RafalA

I think I do need to adjust the frame sheet stay- loaded up, it hits my lower back weird. It's not exactly uncomfortable, but I think on a long hike it probably would get that way- no dig on the pack, I haven't even attempted to fap with it yet.

It's a super versatile pack. I haven't even begun to learn all the strap/compression configurations. My man at mountain shop said there should be a booklet in the brain pouch that shows... Mine must be missing. Is it supposed to come with a user manual? A guy can figure Shiite out for himself, but a little guidance would go a long way.

So far I've had the pack loaded pretty much everywhere between its capacity range, and it does compress down really well and hug the back when properly adjusted- better than I expected. I was also pleasantly surprised at how well it humps a big, heavy load- but I've only done it on level terrain for short distances so far.

No, man... It's a great pack, and I can't wait to get it on some shit this winter. It might even replace my Khamsin. Maybe when I get a better grasp of how to efficiently manage it, it'll even fill my current need.