Vantage Sketchiness?

wetslide

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. More accurately I mean a ticket for not having a pass displayed?

I've heard rumor of tickets being handed out for parking without pass on the shoulder.

There are plenty of enjoyable routes to be had in the coulee, though it certainly doesn't appeal to everyone, and it isn't world class by any stretch of the imagination. Steer clear of sunshine wall and the associated CF and you should be fine.

• 2 weeks later...
I just wish you wet-siders would call the area by its actual name (Frenchman Coulee). There's actually no climbing at Vantage that I know of - not even choss-fests. Do you say you're going to Terrebonne when you're actually going to Smith? Vegas when you're going to Red Rocks? etc. etc. Frenchman coulee (not "Vantage") IS a wonderful place to climb, especially during the cooler months.

From what I read, possibly even on this site, the Washington State climbing community has this peculiar custom of naming climbing areas after the nearest town or the nearest freeway exit.

Myself, I use both Vantage and Frenchman Coulee, often going back and forth between the two.

All areas have a conventional and sometimes changing method of identifying areas: whether Squamish, or Seattle. or Bishop, or Boulder, or Smith, or Yosemite, or Leavenworth, or Index, or etc. etc. etc.

The main thing is for climbers as a community to know what that means and have fun. They generally know where they are despite the geographic signigance or GPS coordinates.

Edited by matt_warfield