How do I find partners...?

Cyclopath

I've always loved mountains more than anything else, and being outdoors is a close second. Naturally I've wanted to climb since I learned that people do that, but I thought it was beyond me, something other people could do that I couldn't. This weekend I took a rock climbing lesson from the American Alpine Institute, and I was happy to learn that I've been wrong. I did pretty well, had a blast, and was comfortable on the rock.

They taught me all the general stuff, plus how to tie in, belay, rappel, and climb. I did 12 pitches under a top rope, and some of them were very difficult. I bought some gear yesterday, and a 10-foot length of rope, and have been practicing tying in so I don't lose it. (I feel like I got excellent instruction, enough to be competent as a beginner.)

I'm going to take a few more lessons, and I'm thinking about quitting my gym and getting a membership at a climbing gym. It's the alpine world that interests me, and I hope I won't learn bad habits on an artificial wall then get myself in trouble outdoors...

The AAI people told me not to partner with just anyone, some people will talk the talk, but stumble the walk. And I don't know how to tell if somebody knows their stuff, or takes bad shortcuts.

Any advice for me?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

trust your gut. if you're meeting partners off the net, be willing to put your foot down hard at any point on a climb of whatever sorts if you're getting a major sketch-factor from the situation/partner.

but that said on your end communicate as clearly/honestly as possible about your ability, interest, and level of comfort. research your mountain pursuits and solicit feedback from AAI, partners, online on any questions/thoughts.

If you can pursue anything with anyone who was in the class with you, that is a good place to start probably.