Solo north sister?

Trogman

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I solo'd up to the upper glacier on the terrible traverse. I stopped there. the bowling alley is sketch once you make it past the glacial traverse.... but I just climber it in august. video:

I almost took several slips on rotten ice. be careful. it is an amazing place to be solo... no cell service. There is still a eugene climber up there who fell

upper glacier on terrible traverse?? whats this glacier? there is a snow field but the last report I saw of 3sisters traverse it was pretty tiny not much left..might be gone now. imo if you are nimble the bowling alley feels far safer (when dry) to me than the traverse area when it is snow or loose rock, assuming you're not a gorilla trying to do pull up to get to the top. Though last year there was that nice moat between the snow and the summit block that was very safe, though going down from the moat to the bowling alley was probably the crux of sketch (more than bowling alley).

yes if you are asking maybe solo ain't great. i am unthrilled about the fire unless it makes it even easier to ski direct line from N. Sister to the trailhead this winter..

That snowfield is massive and present all year :-/ has been for the past couple years that Ive been frequenting anyway. Turning that corner onto the snowfield is steep and rotten by now. I said glacier because its ever present snow that has significant mass.

Climbers in September reported the snow "patch" is melted away for the rest of the summer season. There is no better time of year to solo N. sister via the regular route. I'd consider a light axe for the quick section from the glacier to the S. ridge. But there may be a way around the snow now.