Corsa Nanotech Ice Axe

danmcph

I bought one for ski mountaineering for when I "might" need one. I have found myself taking it everytime over my traditional all steel head BD Raven. I have only carried it, never had to chop a bollard, get up hard (hardness, not technical difficulty) ice etc with it.

My thought is that I would more likely than not use it for everything that I don't use my Quarks for and would sell the heavier, steel BD Raven Pro.

Am I short changing myself by doing this? Any realistic situations that I would want the Raven instead of the Nanotech?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What length is your Corsa Nanotech versus Raven Pro?

It really depends what you're doing. The Nanotech covers a lot of ground, and certainly is serviceable as a piolet. The Raven Pro is a better tool if you know you'll be exclusively in Piolet Canne, so on a lot of Rainier routes for example.

Ski mountaineering, the Nanotech wins. It's lighter and will do everything you need from it. For more classic mountaineering (more walk-ups), the Raven Pro is better.

The question is how often do you find yourself reaching for the Raven Pro, and does that justify keeping it around. I sold mine over a year ago, and haven't regretted it a single day out in the mountains (I reach for a Venom as my moderate axe).

The Raven balances better IMO, and I trust the head more if I'd need to self-arrest. Generally, the longer length means you can more comfortably use the axe in piolet canne in lower-angled slopes.

If a slope is steep enough to comfortably use your Nanotech (50cm), then perhaps the Raven's greatest advantage is lost.

Yep, old fashioned shaft plunging, there is your reason.

Sounds funny but I am serious. Don't use a longer axe anymore as I prefer poles (again serious), but the big question is length. Nowadays I only worry on steep snow and for once less shaft length is better. Seems easier ergonomically speaking to plunge a shorter and staighter shaft to the head on a steep slope. As you have two curved tools I would keep at least one straight shafted axe. 55cm seems a good length. Am selling my Corsa Nanotech only as I have two Matrix Lights and a shorty raven and I take the Grivel tools when there is any non snow climbing to be done. Big props to the Nano though, in the end just do what you like.

I have used the Corsa Nanotech ice axe, and if I were going to plunge the shaft often on a route I would take a different axe. The Corsa Nanotech has a narrow head that becomes quite sharp on the palm of your hand after many plunges.

Also I have noticed multiple Corsa Nanotech ice axes that have a small crack forming in the rivets attaching the steel point to the pick that doesn't inspire confidence in me. I doubt it would cause any issues, but who knows?