[TR] Sawtooths Idaho - Hell roaring lake - Finger of fate- Open book 9/17/2012

ezra

Trip: Sawtooths Idaho - Hell roaring lake - Finger of fate- Open book

Date: 9/17/2012

Trip Report:

I first heard of the Finger of Fate from John Frieh, a total bad a$$ alpinist I climbed with at the city of rocks in April of 2010 or so. John said something like, it’s one of the best climbs I’ve ever done, and it’s only 5.8.

More on the 5.8 part later.

One of my regular climbing partners Matt L and I had the opportunity to climb it this Monday. We were more then a little apprehensive about the fires that are ragin in the area, so far 1.5 million acres have burned in Idaho this season, more then any other state. Other then a little smoke and diminished views, it wasn’t a problem. We left East Idaho at 2 pm or so on Sunday and after picking up a half case of Pabst Blue ribbon in Arco (is there a more depressing town any where?) we managed to make Stanley in time for dinner at the burger joint. I talked to two paramedics who were working with the fire crews, they said the fires were expected to burn until snowfall.

We made it up to the upper Hell-roaring lake trail head, in day light, it is a very rough road, with 4-low almost required (unless you hate your car).

We had a few beers and no fire (sadly a burning ban was in place), camping sucks with out a fire.

here is a link to the pics and more TR

Finger of fate

Gear Notes:

Doubles .5-3 camalots, 1#4 and 1#5

Approach Notes:

3 hours from upper hell roaring trail head to the route, two hour son the descent

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Nice, I thought the 5.8 rating was accurate. Also on your other TR you indicated no pro on the final short and exposed arette. There used to be a pin you could clip just before the little boulder move to get up to the anchors. It is pretty hard to see if you don't know it is there.