OSAT

jdk610

This is similar to the Mountaineers thread, except I'm wondering about OSAT. I have friend in OSAT who has generously offered to get me signed up for their Glacier Climbing Course. It looks great and I'm really excited, but thought I should just check and see if anyone had first-hand experience with them, or had heard anything (positive or negative).

So: have you heard of OSAT or the GCC? Thoughts on their general level of expertise? Anyone actually completed the GCC? I realize I'm asking you to make some generalizations about a somewhat large group of people, but, still interested in any feedback. :)

Thanks!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been involved as a student, instructor and leader for both the Mountaineers and OSAT. I think the level of experience and quality of instruction are about the same in both groups. If you are just looking to climb the big mountains like Rainier and Baker OSAT is probably a better choice. They focus solely on that aspect of climbing and graduation includes a climb of those peaks. If you are interested in rock climbing and a more all around alpine climbing education the Mountaineers is a better choice. Also you can continue on after the basic course and into more technical climbing in the intermediate course.