Stupid Ass Climbing Trend

telemarker

What's with this trend of marking loose rocks with a big chalked up "X" caked on it? C'mon, cut that crap out. Especially at the crag. I'd rather look at Geoff's cigarette butts at the base of the climbs than that stupid-ass graffiti telling me that a pebble might come loose!!!

If you want to feel heroic, buy yourself a year's supply of chalk, go to Sunshine Wall and knock yourself out. Leave Leavenworth out of this stupid practice.

okee doke!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Climb it at dawn or sunset and trundle the shit. No X required.

Other things that require an X are the infinite amount of looseness on Serpentine on Stuart and most other alpine routes, avalanche and glacier dangers throughout the Cascades, and please put an X on every rattlesnake around Leavenworth and Tieton.

The X only belongs on the videos you watch at home. In the field knowledge, judgment, and tolerance for some risk is what climbers do.

Edited by matt_warfield

I've not yet climbed in the L, so I don't know what the crag culture is like up there.. but I put a couple very faint Xs on a couple loose holds on I-Rock to warn my slightly uncomfortable follower a couple weekends ago.. Does that make me a hero?

There's an application for everything... some people like to douche it up and take things too far, but it doesn't make a given practice completely stupid

I've not yet climbed in the L, so I don't know what the crag culture is like up there.. but I put a couple very faint Xs on a couple loose holds on I-Rock to warn my slightly uncomfortable follower a couple weekends ago.. Does that make me a hero?

There's an application for everything... some people like to douche it up and take things too far, but it doesn't make a given practice completely stupid

As the follower, I can attest that there was an X marked on I-Rock itself, which was loose, in its entirety. So the X was helpful.

This thread is the worst trend. Nice arm chair climbing chief. There is a reason for the X. protecting my belayer is important to me. if all you want to d is complain then you should really take a look at youer life and think "DAMN, am I realllllly that person"....