[TR] Mt. Baring - Vanishing Point 9/19/2012

bigwallben

Trip: Mt. Baring - Vanishing Point

Date: 9/19/2012

Trip Report:

I've not the time or savvy to make an additional report CC specific, but here is a link to the full write-up. Blake Herrington and I climbed Vanishing Point yesterday on Dolomite Tower. It was an excellent day climbing with a solid partner.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have some sweet pics of the "MAN", PETE DORISH, up there doing work, on/in one of my wall tents, that black-die-mounds (not the MAN, comrade anchor) copied 20+ years later .... They used to hang on the walls in the 'store' in lynwood. I think Pete has done a lot of work up there! He (Pete) also has done similar badass routes on Mt. Index. Very steep and extremely intimidating.

I thought this was a memorable route in a stunning location - definitely not the type of climbing typically found in the mountains. It wasn't one of those climbs where you keep doubting your ability to make it happen or wondering "is this a go?" Probably all the moves harder then 5.10 or 11- could be easily aided, and it seems like rapping from almost anywhere on the route would be pretty easy. Those factors definitely make it possible to focus on the climbing, position, and exposure more than the fact that you're on a big steep north face. That being said, I didn't free the route and felt that probably just 3 of the ~13 pitches were really classic on their own.

Mt_Baring_Topo_-0001.jpg

Thanks for the positive comments guys. Still reliving the Mt. Baring climb with fond recollection. This was one of my more memorable rock climbing experiences in the Cascades over the years...and IMO it should see more traffic.

Wallstein, what kind of biners were those...? Hope your ribs are ok.

Hell yeah dudes! Nice Write up Ben.

Jens Holsten and myself got on this baby yesterday; What a wild route!!

The rock was very good and the exposure was amazing. An all around blast. I can no believe how much work was put into bolting this line, but wow!

As beta is emerging and pictures are flying around the internet, this route might receive some of the attention it deserves.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 years later...
On 9/20/2012 at 4:42 PM, bigwallben said:

Trip: Mt. Baring - Vanishing Point

Date: 9/19/2012

Trip Report:

I've not the time or savvy to make an additional report CC specific, but here is a link to the full write-up. Blake Herrington and I climbed Vanishing Point yesterday on Dolomite Tower. It was an excellent day climbing with a solid partner.