Romney tape

glassgowkiss

And, I am in that 47%, I'd like to see a set flat tax. EVERYONE pays X%.

47% on income, or on wages? That's important.

Also, flat taxes have a tendency to become regressive. If it takes X dollars to survive, you tend to pay proportionately a higher burden as your tax footprint approaches X. A 15% tax on $1 sure hurts a lot more than a 15% tax on 1 million when compared with the potential to survive on the remainder.

However, I'd be way more supportive of flat taxes (or lower taxes in general) if the plan taxed income rather than wages. Most republicans advocate repealing taxes on capital gains altogether, which is absolutely an awful idea. Income is income, and I should pay the same taxes on my investment income as I do on gambling proceeds in Vegas.

While we're on the subject, the concept of short-terms capital gains tax only hurts the poor, IMO. It effectively prevents short-term investment for the poor and lower middle class entirely by enforcing a much higher level of taxation than they would otherwise pay. If you don't have a lot of money you can't afford to have it tied up for more than 12 months, and a 35% penalty for short investments is just class warfare.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if you are not part of the 47% why are your panties in such a twist?

This is how he always behaves.

When I first joined this site, I swore to myself that I was going to avoid this part of the site like the plague. After 5 1/2 years working in DC you would have thought I had learned my lesson, but here I am. :crazy:

I am sure it was posted multiple times. I think the whole thing is even more sick and ridiculous then just the remarks about people "paying no taxes". For a year I did not qualify to pay federal income tax. It's because i was in school taking student loans. No, I was not born into a rich family like Romney, everything I have I worked for myself. So for someone telling me I don't matter, or my concerns don't matter is a slap in my face.

I am also glad he stated he is a racial bigot. For someone to say out in public that "blacks and latinos are a problem" is just plain ignorant. Sorry, you might get some votes if you were running for KKK leadership. Here I extend my middle finger to you...... asshole!

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/09/watch-full-secret-video-private-romney-fundraiser

Maybe I watched the wrong video. It didn't seem as bad as you espouse. True, it was a pretty shitty thing to have come out to the public.

Like I said, there might have been another video that I missed. The guy is a creeper anywho.

Never mind, saw the other one. Holy shit that guy is fucked! Hope has has a fallback plan! Goddamn! Obama must be stoked; well except for the racial hatred and all...

Edited by akhalteke

So if you are not part of the 47% why are your panties in such a twist?

It would be like me getting all bent out of shape about Obama's "Sticking to their guns and religion" quote. People are too thin skinned

Call a spade, spade. If you exclude 47% of people from the pool, what do you have left? There is a difference between saying that in PA people are sticking to their religion and guns and saying 47% of people are not my concern as a president. That hits the core of the democracy. No, I lived in a totalitarian country and I know where this behavior leads.

Never mind, saw the other one. Holy shit that guy is fucked! Hope has has a fallback plan! Goddamn! Obama must be stoked; well except for the racial hatred and all...

The funniest thing is when the website released just the part, his response was to release the whole thing. When I watched it, I was just speechless. So now do you see why some folks are fuming about it?

Now, do you still want him to represent you, more importantly, this country?

I do not want either one of these DBs to represent the country.

I think both of them will fail to represent 47% of the country. What a farce. Just b/c it was caught on tape for Romney doesn't mean that Obama doesn't give a rats ass about a sizable portion of our population. I certainly don't feel represented by him. So much of what he's done policy wise will have a negative impact on me so why do I think he's any different? Romney just got busted.

Thankfully, I know that my state will vote for Romney in large numbers and our 4 electoral votes don't amount to a hill of beans so I can vote for a 3rd party candidate w/o concern. Also w/o hope but at least I can vote for someone else.

I think both of them will fail to represent 47% of the country. What a farce. Just b/c it was caught on tape for Romney doesn't mean that Obama doesn't give a rats ass about a sizable portion of our population. I certainly don't feel represented by him. So much of what he's done policy wise will have a negative impact on me so why do I think he's any different? Romney just got busted.

Thankfully, I know that my state will vote for Romney in large numbers and our 4 electoral votes don't amount to a hill of beans so I can vote for a 3rd party candidate w/o concern. Also w/o hope but at least I can vote for someone else.

Amen! Preach on sister! Next time you are in Seattle I buy you a round of Aberlour 12! :-)

I agree, stated long ago 2 party political system is a joke and needs to go. However I will still cast my vote for Obama, since I don't want to have someone in the office, who is openly hostile towards me.

Shit no. He looks at feels like a shady door-to-door salesman.

I'm enjoying watching all these choads jumping off the sinking ship.

Never was on the boat asshat! :wave:

The choads I'm referring to are all the party officials and nominees.

I'm not on the Romney boat, but I dislike him less than I hate Obama so he will get my vote.

Well, you're on the Romeny boat, but you're in steerage with the 1 percenters (ie the 1 percent of the 47% voting Romney). :grin:

Gary Johnson voter here. Won't denigrate either the of the eventual winners though.

I'm not on the Romney boat, but I dislike him less than I hate Obama so he will get my vote.

Hate is a strong word.

Jim for me the quick and simple one is the new health care "obamacare" will impact me significantly

We should keep using asbestos so that the miners aren't out of a job.

Well, you're on the Romeny boat, but you're in steerage with the 1 percenters (ie the 1 percent of the 47% voting Romney). :grin:

Gary Johnson voter here. Won't denigrate either the of the eventual winners though.

Anyone got a life vest then... I might need it!

Jim for me the quick and simple one is the new health care "obamacare" will impact me significantly

Thanks for the reply M. Then I'm assuming you have no health coverage now and will be "forced" to either get insurance or pay the tax. I've a slightly different view of it - that if you or any other uninsured person gets hit by the Metro bus or has a major illness - it's the hospital, the insurance companies via cost shifting, and ultimately me the tax-payer who is footing the bill. So I'm ok with this.

Given the pluses and minuses of the bill - I think it is a move in the right direction.