[TR] Shawangunks - High Exposure and others 9/17/2012

Trip: Shawangunks - High Exposure and others

Date: 9/17/2012

Trip Report:

Hayley and I kept the sister’s trip tradition going another year with a quick trip to the Shawangunks in New York. The goal of our sister’s trips has always been to find a new and unique challenge. This year we decided to learn the art of the horizontal crack and climb the mega-classic, High Exposure.

We had been to the Gunks briefly before and I made sickeningly slow progress up a 5.5. The climbing there was intimidating at the least. This year we set aside a day to warm up to this style of climbing. We’d use our second day to hit up one of the most well known and exciting 5.6 routes out there, High Exposure.

Sister’s trip 2012 challenge: the strange, horizontal cam

IMG_38961.JPG

263832_10100300539663160_5791394_n.jpg

My first difficulty was getting out of bed Thursday morning. I flew into Baltimore on a Tuesday night red-eye and we drove up to the Gunks Wednesday for free camping in the park (as long as you’re a paying technical rock climber, you can claim one of the 22 sites in the park). Thursday morning jet-lag hit hard. Hayley brewed some tasty coffee though and we were off! Our line-up included 7 pitches of 5.5-5.7 roofs with plenty of those strange horizontal placements. Once you learn to trust that there’s always going to be pro around the corner and usually a jug when you need it (though you sometimes have to look for a while), the climbing is very fun. We finished the day with 5.6, 5.9 and 5.7 vertical cracks! It was funny how inflated the ratings on vertical cracks were (compared to everything else).

Hayley leads up P2 of Jackie

IMG_3886.JPG

Taking a break from the horizontal

IMG_38901.JPG

Heading back to camp after a day of climbing

IMG_3892.JPG

The next morning we hiked out to the base of High Exposure early to beat the heat, and the crowds. The route was everything we wanted. The first pitch is a fun 180’ 5.5 corner crack with an exposed traverse. The money pitch had a thoughtful move around a roof, followed by juggy steep climbing. The setting and exposure are pretty cool (though I have to say after alpine climbing in the cascades with over 1000’ of exposure sometimes, the exposure was a little lost on me). We finished the trip with another classic 5.6, Frog’s Head, with more exposure and more roofs. Hayley was getting used to the rock now and led the steep second pitch of Frog’s Head. I’m glad to see that grad school and city life haven’t softened her too much. She’s still got it!

P1 of High Exposure

IMG_3899.JPG

IMG_3901.JPG

Hanging out at the belay

229950_10100300539638210_2104616489_n.jpg

Team ahead of us taking in the exposure before pulling the crux move

IMG_3909.JPG

My turn to go for P2

207854_10100300539653180_104270378_n.jpg

Hayley tops out on High Exposure

IMG_39142.JPG

Next team climbing the second pitch of High Exposure

IMG_3927.JPG

Me at belay on Frog’s Head

206322_10100300539733020_1375950720_n.jpg

Topping out on Frog’s Head

383373_10100300539777930_1719758204_n.jpg

Hayley at the top of Frog’s Head

IMG_3937.JPG

We squished in a little bonus trip Saturday morning with a little climbing at a crag in Massachusetts (Rose Ledge). This was another example of the fact that wherever there is a rock, there will be climbers to send it. Hayley led another thoughtful 5.5 here and we TR’d two of the 5.10s. Fun little crag if you find yourself in Massachusetts.

404701_10100300539792900_986161546_n.jpgjpg

390402_10100300539822840_60688765_n.jpg

603345_10100300539897690_367134900_n.jpg

It was great to get in another sister’s trip. Let’s keep ‘em going!

Edited by Val Zephyr

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For cragging my favorite world wide is Verdon. There might be better than that but it is hard to imagine.

Back to the 'Gunks, though, there is no better place to go for a few days with some old friends or a sibling for a few days of walk-up adventure. The climb in question - High Exposure - is a full value 5.6 that, even though Val says it isn't "exposed" in her rating book, is action packed. Really. The 'Gunks, at any normal climbing grade, are as exciting as climbing can be (I don't know about how many 5.14's they have).

Val could not find better in the Northwest.

Alex- screaming barfies on High Exposure?! Ouch!

Matt- High E was indeed the most action packed 5.6 I've ever seen! For the grade, this place is wild. I found that if I drop my expectations a little for what grade I think I'll be able to climb/lead, the Gunks is full of interesting, unusual, and fun climbs. I've never really thought of that area of the country as a good climbing destination, but I'm already looking forward to checking out more of what the East coast has to offer while my sister is stuck out there in grad school. I hear that Vermont has good ice...

I'll have to look up this Verdon place too.

Nice trip, thanks for the photos. I learned to climb there. My favorite crag in the US as well. No bolts, a ton of moderate routes, and some great overhangs at moderate grades. Haven't been there in 10 yrs, hmmmm. Next time try out Shockley's Ceiling and Arrow. Classics. Cheers :brew:

Oh - and North Conway NH for the ice.