Nylon Slings

astrov

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how many "years of accumulated dirt" are we talkin' 'bout here? I don't keep slings for more than a year or two...

running 'em through a rinse cycle won't hurt 'em...

Huh? Youse dudes need to clarify your sling size. 1" Tubular webbing is good for at least 10 years. Maybe the skinny 6mm and to a lesser extent 8mm dyneema (which is not "nylon") goes only 1 -2 years heavy use, certainly by 3 years old they shouldn't be led on (if used heavily). Should be nothing wrong with washing them with a little mild detergent like Woolite, same as any rope, but that's good advice to just hang them up to dry.

clarification as requested: 9/16" supertape tied w/double-fisherman's, as "alpine draws". and yes, they may well be good for longer than I keep them, but they get used to reinforce rap anchors, or as anchors where none previously exist. my cordelettes suffer the same fate, and yield about the same lifespan. I figger fresh slingage is cheap insurance...

I also replace the slings on my nuts and cams every couple of years. I don't send 'em back to the factory for this, just tie a new sling out of supertape or 7-mil cord. Oooold school...