[TR] Mount Pugh - Standard scramble route 9/15/2012

DanO

Trip: Mount Pugh - Standard scramble route

Date: 9/15/2012

Trip Report:

Great route, Rated at 3rd class and I consider this rating true in late summer conditions, as in dry with no snow. I like to try it with snow, but looks steep and hairy in places with snow. Solid class three scramble with no 5th class surprises. Lots of exposure, so is fun. In this time of year approx Sept 15th, you do not need a ice axe, no snow on route. No water past Metan lake. Metan lake can be hiked to in about hour and is a great place to camp the night before, after work on Friday etc.

These two photos are of the upper mountain scrambling part. There is some scrambling on the ridge line before this part on the mountain, about a thousand feet of scrambling, on upper part. Looks more scary than it actually is once your in it. I would be cautious to go in snow, ice or wet rock conditions, it is a solid scramble soloing with dry rock.

Lower_part_pugh_path.JPG

Upper_part_pugh.JPG

http://cascadeclimbers.com/plab/uploads/2797/Upper_part_pugh.JPG

Gear Notes:

If going in late summer, most likely no snow, so do not need a ice axe or mountaineering boots. Plan on no water past

Metan lake during fall or late summer. Hiking poles are nice, can ditch them on the upper part when scrambling.

Approach Notes:

Need northwest forest pass.

Edited by DanO

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did this as an endurance challege, meaning fast and furious. I started from Seattle in a drizzle and fog. I ended up breaking out of the fog at about 2000' on the hike. I ended up on the summit with my shirt off at 38 deg. and absolutely brilliant views.

On another trip I had sex on the summit boulder. Anybody that has been to the summit of Pugh knows exactly about the coffin shaped boulder that is the alpine version of bedroom.

Edited by matt_warfield

• 2 weeks later...