Enchantments Hike thru this coming weekend

olyclimber

Hey, any Leavenworth locals interested in hiking through the Enchantments with Ulee and I this coming weekend on Saturday (22)? We would be going up Aasgard pass (I'm not that keen on going down that thing) and out. Looking for someone that can hopefully help with providing one end of a car shuttle if possible. Start very early in the morning and get up and enjoy the lakes and mtns before heading down and out via Snow Creek trail.

I haven't taken Ulee up there before, and I want to show him the place this year. It is probably early for the larches to be turning, but we have stuff going on during early Oct.

thnx.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno, is ass-guard pass really any better going up? It's basically a big pile of crap regardless. And if you do it clockwise, you can leave bikes at the stuart lake th and ride downhill back to your car. I have an kid's bmx bike you guys can borrow that would prob fit Ulee well enough to get him back to the car. If he doesn't have a bike.

Edited by rob

Rob, thanks for the offer on the bike (he does have an MTB btw), but I have done it both ways and yes the bike stashing is an awesome way to go...but going down the pass is pretty rough on my knees. Yes I would survive, but I know going the other way I don't have that problem as bad...just been my personal experience. Ulee would be fine either way, but I just made the decision to avoid coming down Assgrab pass...

Thanks for the idea Monty! This is Porter btw, not Stewart. He is OlyMountainBoy or something like that.

Looks like the Enchantments area has a good fire going on up there.......couldn't find information on the web but the folks at Leavenworth Mt Sports said the Enchantments is now closed. Not sure, but I wouldn't want to be hiking there.

I was at Bruce's boulder scrambling early this morning and it's pretty smokey alright.

Lots of bucket drops going on up there.

Interesting that there is no info that the Enchantments are closed, but thanks for the heads up. We'll watch what is going on there this week.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/okawen/news-events/?cid=STELPRDB5390660

This is all I see right now.

Yeh, same here. I don't know why there's not much information and I heard nothing on the radio.

BUT my friends are dirt bagging it up the Icicle and they just evacuated their camp site (I think there were by 8 mile). She hasn't gotten back to me, but cell service is spotty up the Icicle.

EDIT: They are now up at Mountain Home camping. Bridge Creek is closed and they said it's getting crazy!! As they were driving to town, they saw cars being towed out of Snow Creek campground. ?!?!?! Whoa.... :shock:

Edited by PrincessWookie

It is really miserable and smokey in the Icicle currently, and surrounding areas such as Leavenworth. You can still enter the Enchantments thru Snow Creek but with the fire headed down 8 mile, I would not be planning anything in the Icicle for the up coming weekend, and with the possibility of Snow Creek parking getting closed as well. Really it all is going to depend on the wind. No matter what happens, with the Wenatchee fire and the Entiat fire, and the fires in the Icicle, it is not a pleasant place to be right now as the whole area is smoked out. That said the Enchantments have remained mostly smoke free, but Stuart Creek and Icicle Creek and Snow creek valleys full of smoke.

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1082243/Re_Fire_closure_in_the_Enchant#Post1082243

This was posted when I checked this morning:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/okawen/news-events/?cid=STELPRDB5390935

Click on map link on that site and you'll get a PDF with closures from Chiwawa/Fernow area down to Hwy 97, and from Icicle Creek Rd to Stuart and Asgaard Pass.

They say the Upper Enchantments basin is still open, but you have to go IN the Slow Snow Lks route.

It is really miserable and smokey in the Icicle currently, and surrounding areas such as Leavenworth. You can still enter the Enchantments thru Snow Creek but with the fire headed down 8 mile, I would not be planning anything in the Icicle for the up coming weekend, and with the possibility of Snow Creek parking getting closed as well. Really it all is going to depend on the wind. No matter what happens, with the Wenatchee fire and the Entiat fire, and the fires in the Icicle, it is not a pleasant place to be right now as the whole area is smoked out. That said the Enchantments have remained mostly smoke free, but Stuart Creek and Icicle Creek and Snow creek valleys full of smoke.

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1082243/Re_Fire_closure_in_the_Enchant#Post1082243

Yeh, it sure is smokey and no, not pleasant at all. I could barely see Wedge Mt from less than a mile away this morning. I'm heading to Alaska right now for 2 weeks, and thankfully so.

thanks Steve...we are heading to the Olympics instead. There we only have the goats to worry about:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/olympic/alerts-notices/?aid=12693

I'm glad you brought this up.

Any other species would respond to an eradication effort by dying. But goats? They'll use any excuse to kill Americans.

They're animals, plain and simple. The only thing these lint-heads understand, other than a steady stream of urine to the forehead, is a .222 round. For those of you who are wondering why I just suggested giving Canadian over the counter Tylenol with codeine to a bunch of ungulates, you're probably one of the apologists who helped create their perception of our weakness in the first place.

You don't negoatiate with ungulates. The only good goat is a dead one, preferably with a side of tsatsiki.

Edited by tvashtarkatena