Alpine Phones

B Deleted_Beck

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm quickly becoming an almost exclusive soloist... I pretty much expect that if anything goes wrong at all, I'm going to die. While I don't want to die, and think a phone might, might help in some unlikely-but-fortunate scenarios, that's not actually why I take a phone into the alpine. I have no compunction about going into areas where there is NO service available (so long as I know it and have no expectation of being able to check my VM). I'd rather eat it in the alpine in my 30s than linger, debilitated, racking up hundreds of thousands in Romney bills, into my 90s.

We can drop that whole bag.

my iphone is a gps, camera, and sometimes also a phone. Pretty handy. I keep in in airplane mode so I can use the camera but not degrade battery life "searching" for service. I use the National Geographic ap for locating myself on the map. I have verizon and I also have the can't get out issue of apparent good service (bars), but no ability to send.

another vote for satellite phones - and if you don't feel you have the $$$ to purchase, I have rented them for trips into corners of Alaska where our party has been the only human presence within hundreds of miles. after our third rental, my brother-in-law in Fairbanks finally broke down and bought one...

oh man, if I were ever on a climbing trip and my partner pulled out his phone to do some work email, I don't know what would happen. I'd rather he just stayed home and got his work done.

I can't decide if this statement is one of pure selfishness aka: "DON'T DISRUPT MY HOLY WILDERNESS EXPERIENCE!!!!" coupled with "THERE IS NOTHING ON THIS PLANET MORE IMPORTANT THAN ME AND THIS OUTDOOR EXPERIENCE" or is this statement is about jealousy aka: "I don't have a job that allows me to be away from my desk so you shouldn't either. It's no fair you can earn money, vacation time, sick days, maintain health insurance, save for retirement, be a productive member of the working force/contributing member of society AND get to go outside and have fun. It's not fair so you can't do it since I can't."

Get over yourselves. If your partner is yapping to their lover about that great burrito that they had from that gas station down the road, then yes, throw them and their phone into the closest crevasse you can find. But if the person is trying to provide for their family AND keep their soul from spinning apart, get off their fucking back and worry about your own spot on this planet.

But if the person is trying to provide for their family AND keep their soul from spinning apart, get off their fucking back and worry about your own spot on this planet.

Well said, bro. Well said.

Not to fuel the de-railment side of this thread, I think it really just comes down to some guys thinking their style of climbing is 'the' style of climbing, and any other way is unethical/inferior/noobish/whatever.

For a sport with supposedly no rules, I've never felt a stronger vibe to conform than I have since I started climbing. Probably a big part of why I solo so much.

oh man, if I were ever on a climbing trip and my partner pulled out his phone to do some work email, I don't know what would happen.

I just climbed DHLA with Riley81. I was following the 4th pitch and heard him talking. I wondered who he was talking to, turns out it was a cell call with someone at his work.

I didn't care cuz he'd just led 2 hard pitches and he had me on an autolock device.

oh man, if I were ever on a climbing trip and my partner pulled out his phone to do some work email, I don't know what would happen. I'd rather he just stayed home and got his work done.

I can't decide if this statement is one of pure selfishness aka: "DON'T DISRUPT MY HOLY WILDERNESS EXPERIENCE!!!!" coupled with "THERE IS NOTHING ON THIS PLANET MORE IMPORTANT THAN ME AND THIS OUTDOOR EXPERIENCE" or is this statement is about jealousy aka: "I don't have a job that allows me to be away from my desk so you shouldn't either. It's no fair you can earn money, vacation time, sick days, maintain health insurance, save for retirement, be a productive member of the working force/contributing member of society AND get to go outside and have fun. It's not fair so you can't do it since I can't."

Get over yourselves. If your partner is yapping to their lover about that great burrito that they had from that gas station down the road, then yes, throw them and their phone into the closest crevasse you can find. But if the person is trying to provide for their family AND keep their soul from spinning apart, get off their fucking back and worry about your own spot on this planet.

99% of these guys are just doing the 30,000th repeat of a 5.4 "classic" anywho. Self importance is for the first guy to hit 5.16. If that aint on your radar, then chill out and have fun any way you know how. I love calling my boo from on top of a mountain. Gets her hot and I know I am gonna get some when I get home; apres douche bien sur.