Via ferrata ethics

NoBolts

What this fellow is pointing out, right at you!, is that what he's got going is just a more blatant form of sport-climbing: permanently-established convenience fixtures that appeal to the masses who prefer presumed safety and a short learning-curve rather than the "leave little trace" ethic practiced by most other outdoor pursuits. Ain't it ironic how so many sport-climbers probably object on environmental or aesthetic grounds to via ferratas....something not all that dissimilar to what they themselves perpetuate? Yah...I'm pretty sure that's the point he's making, but he probably won't subscribe to cc.com because he's unwilling to be ruthlessly attacked for having a minority opinion on this site.

I'm speechless. Some British guy at Needle Sports has a brief write up you should read.

http://www.needlesports.com/catalogue/content.aspx?con_id=d7376987-c60a-437e-a15a-9c9e00a6a466

20051210152054.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he looks awful fit for a brit - the shoes are a dead give-away though :)

'dawg, i'm curious - is your objection to all via ferratas, or just those put in in the past half century or so? my understanding is many via ferratas were really damn old, at least as far back as ww1, when they had legitimate reasons to exist (defense) beyond wankers recreation and when technical clmbing equipment was light-years behind today.

the hiker's trail on beacon rock is essentially a via ferrata and is clearly a great good for the outdoors community, letting thousands of families a year get some decent excercise in a spectacular environment.

Yes_You_.gif

What this fellow is pointing out, right at you!, is that what he's got going is just a more blatant form of sport-climbing: permanently-established convenience fixtures that appeal to the masses who prefer presumed safety and a short learning-curve rather than the "leave little trace" ethic practiced by most other outdoor pursuits. Ain't it ironic how so many sport-climbers probably object on environmental or aesthetic grounds to via ferratas....something not all that dissimilar to what they themselves perpetuate? Yah...I'm pretty sure that's the point he's making, but he probably won't subscribe to cc.com because he's unwilling to be ruthlessly attacked for having a minority opinion on this site.

also, it's all well and good, BUT WHO IS HE? name, rank and scooter license plate #, eh? you must respect the provenance concept, no? :)

Yes_You_.gif

So does that make him smarter than you?

I'm pretty sure that's the point he's making, but he probably won't subscribe to cc.com because he's unwilling to be ruthlessly attacked for having a minority opinion on this site.

is THAT what you think happens to you, that you just come on here and get ruthlessly attacked for no reason other than because you have a minority opinion?

:lmao:

• 3 years later...
  • 8 months later...