[TR] Teton Grand Slam - Grand Teton Complete Exum, North Ridge, and more.. 9/1/2012

Trip: Teton Grand Slam - Middle Teton NR, Grand Teton Complete Exum, Mt. Owen Serendipity Arête, Grand Teton NR, Teewinot SW Couloir, Symmetry Spire SW Ridge

Date: 8/30-9/7/2012

Trip Report:

I just posted a trip report for a 9-day adventure in the Tetons, which included a strategic multi-day link-up of several Teton classic climbs:

1. Middle Teton North Ridge (II, 5.6)

7960838946_0c7fc684d0_m.jpg

2. Grand Teton Complete Exum Ridge (III, 5.7)

7960819128_94b96bb3f7_m.jpg

3. Mt. Owen Serendipity Arete (IV, 5.7/5.9)

7960858708_0b8d8227a3_m.jpg

4. Grand Teton North Ridge (IV, 5.8)

7960766746_72eb916d80_m.jpg

5. Teewinot Mountain Southwest Couloir (II, 4th)

7960824496_95cb60c84c_m.jpg

6. Symmetry Spire Southwest Ridge (II, 5.7)

7960924280_cac20b7d4f_m.jpg

The trip report is pretty long and involved, so I will just post a link to my website here for those that are interested!

http://www.stephabegg.com/home/tripreports/wyoming/tetonslam

My parents make an appearance in this trip report, since they had done a climbing trip in the Tetons the year before I was born....

My mom climbing on the SW Ridge of Symmetry Spire in 1982

7960785416_b45ed945f3_m.jpg

Me waving from near where my mom is in the photo from 1982

7960777324_31f37bacd5_m.jpg

My dad on summit of Symmetry Spire in 1982

7960784794_8ebcd28826_m.jpg

Me on the summit of Symmetry Spire wearing my mom's old pants and carrying her pack and ice axe.

7960778560_661047f2ff_m.jpg

Edited by Steph_Abegg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very cool! a veritable tour de force! Following in the footsteps of your folks also very cool. How lucky were you to have such adventurous parents!

I've always thought it would be cool to get back there and do the Middle Teton after climbing the Grand years ago. It remains on my short list.

I should actually write out a list one of these days...

d

Wow! A stunning week's work. My partner and I were there the same time to attempt the Grand Traverse but were thwarted on Owen after some other climbers reported veraglas up high and all along the West Ledges to the Grandstand. Instead, we descended the Koven to the lower Teton Glacier and attempted to finish the route from the L Saddle. No such luck as we ran into more ice up on the Middle and bailed again. We'll be back. As always, stunning photos and write-up.

Wow! A stunning week's work. My partner and I were there the same time to attempt the Grand Traverse but were thwarted on Owen after some other climbers reported veraglas up high and all along the West Ledges to the Grandstand. Instead, we descended the Koven to the lower Teton Glacier and attempted to finish the route from the L Saddle. No such luck as we ran into more ice up on the Middle and bailed again. We'll be back. As always, stunning photos and write-up.

When were you on Owen? We saw a party on the summit and then descend Koven when we were camped at the Grandstand (Sept 3)....ice wasn't so bad on Owen (Sept 2) or W Ledges (Sept 3) but there was a fair bit on the NR of The Grand (Sept 4).

Edited by Steph_Abegg

It was Sept 2. We hit Teewinot, Pk 11840, East Prong, then ran into two experienced climbers from SLC who reported it was a bit sketchy on Owen and that there was veraglas heading over to the notch and on the Grandstand? We took their word for it and bailed as it was still a decent push to get up Owen at that time. We ran into ice on the N Ridge of the Middle the next day. Dang, maybe we should've went for it? There'll be a next time..

It was Sept 2. We hit Teewinot, Pk 11840, East Prong, then ran into two experienced climbers from SLC who reported it was a bit sketchy on Owen and that there was veraglas heading over to the notch and on the Grandstand? We took their word for it and bailed as it was still a decent push to get up Owen at that time. We ran into ice on the N Ridge of the Middle the next day. Dang, maybe we should've went for it? There'll be a next time..

There was no ice between Owen and the Grandstand, but there was enough ice on the north sides of the Grand and Middle that it would have made a speedy traverse you were looking for difficult. So yep, there'll be a next time, and probably more enjoyable condition anyway!