Rope in duffel with white gas...

CaleHoopes

Folks,

Call me a n00b when it comes to rope care, but I think I know the answer to my question here...

I have a dry treated Mammut Infinity 60m rope that made it into a duffel with a MSR fuel bottle that had a loose lid. When the duffel got home, I found the error and the duffel smelled pretty bad... the rope WAS in a rope bag, however, the rope bag actually smelled pretty bad too. I totally let it all dry out, but I'm thinking that if the rope got soaked in white gas there could be a weakness in the rope. Therefore, it's probably getting retired as "practice rope".

Thoughts? I'm really curious whether or not you'd retire your rope in this situation. The bottle was probably only 22 oz of white gas, but was empty once we got home.

Anyhoo, let me know what you think - discuss - and spray too, I'm cool with that.

Cale

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Folks,

... but I'm thinking that if the rope got soaked in white gas there could be a weakness in the rope. Therefore, it's probably getting retired as "practice rope".

Thoughts?

I'm thinking that for a couple hundred bucks, I'd just go get another rope. That's a LOT cheaper than a hospital bill (or worse).

Wash it then use if for a haul rope, or even weave it into a rug, but retire it from "active duty".

That's totally what I'm thinking too. I just wanted to hear from some experts (or sprayers).

Well, I am no expert on ropes, but I do know that fuel is a solvent, and ropes are made of synthetic material(s), so I'd be cautious about using it again, not knowing what, if any damage has occurred.

An interesting possibility:

http://www.summitpost.org/so-you-want-to-make-a-rope-rug-eh/263578

Edited by grandpa

It is best to assume that all chemicals are bad for your rope. Do not expose your nylon or polyester ropes to chemicals. That said, much recent data has been collected regarding how substances affect rope life. Data available from Honeywell Corporation (makers of nylon 6, polyester and Spectra®) shows that nylon’s strength is not greatly affected by motor oil, mineral oil, salt water, Freon, gasoline, kerosene, benzene, chloroform, paints, pine oils, or insect repellents containing DEET. Chemicals that should be avoided at all costs are bleach and sulfuric acid. Still even with this reassurance it is best to protect your rope from any exposure to any acids or alkalis and to store your rope in a cool dry envi- ronment.

http://www.sterlingrope.com/media/document/techmanual.pdf

Well, I am no expert on ropes, but I do know that fuel is a solvent, and ropes are made of synthetic material(s)

Just because naptha is a solvent doesn't mean it negatively affects nylon. Nylon has excellent resistance to many chemical solvents, including gasoline.

http://k-mac-plastics.net/data%20sheets/nylon_chemical_resistance_chart.htm

That said, I'd probably replace the rope anyway.