(Recovered) - handheld radio at base of SE Corner

astrov

Lost at base of Cruisin' on Thursday, August 30 - Purple VTech "V-Talk" 2-way radio. I actually dropped it from the belay station at the end of pitch 2 of SE Corner and it fell into the void. I'm curious if it survived the fall. I might have to rap the route from that station to see if I can find it. I posted this in the Beacon thread too, and if that's not acceptable, I apologize.

Edited by astrov

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If by "rap the route from that station" you mean rap off the corner tree, please instead consider just looking around the start to cruisin or under the big oak tree to the right of it and on the other side of trail from both. It would likely be somewhere in that vicinity depending on whether, or how far, it bounced on the way down. Besides, rapping off the poor old tree is a suck rappel.

the radio fell of the end of the second "pitch" (really a run out, 4th class traverse) on SE Corner. At the base of the slab pitch. So there was no rapping off the poor old tree. (Although I did that on a separate occasion last week in the dark and shan't again, now that I know where the YW anchors are.) Dennis H spotted my radio yesterday near the base of cruisin'. it was in one piece, amazingly. We also rapped off the anchor at the top of P2 of YW, so now I know where that is. Thanks for the beta. :tup:

If by "rap the route from that station" you mean rap off the corner tree, please instead consider just looking around the start to cruisin or under the big oak tree to the right of it and on the other side of trail from both. It would likely be somewhere in that vicinity depending on whether, or how far, it bounced on the way down. Besides, rapping off the poor old tree is a suck rappel.

Do you think the occasional rap off the tree is going to taint the route more than the eroded holds, crusty chalk stains, and 6-odd rusted ass pins scarred into the rock?

I think the fear is that the tree itself will give way - and we should preserve it for belaying and not rap off of it, given that there are bolted anchors so close at hand. Again, we rapped off it not knowing there was a bolted anchor right around the corner. (Other problem, I suppose, is that it supposedly takes a 70 m rope to get to the ground [without downclimbing] off the bolted anchor at the top of Pitch 1 of Young Warriors. So maybe you can address that Joseph ... double rope rappells?)

Do you think the occasional rap off the tree is going to taint the route more than the eroded holds, crusty chalk stains, and 6-odd rusted ass pins scarred into the rock?

Edited by astrov