Mt. Russell

jaee

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay. There have been exactly three routes done. N. Ridge - standard. East Face - horror show, no repeats. S. Ridge - long approach, similar difficulty to N. Ridge, original route, no repeats. Upper Yentna is closest glacier landing to peak, but only gives access to N. Ridge and it is not much of an option to escape from this basin, i.e. if you climb another route and descend the N. Ridge, you must be picked up there. The Chedolatna is not landable anymore, an overland approach is necessary for South and West side routes. If you're not looking at the standard route, it is a logistically complicated mountain in the middle of nowhere.

Aaah! That's more like it. The Chedolat(h?)na info was specifically one point I was hoping to hear about. I'd heard that a fairly recent party was unable to convince the air service to land there. Now I know why.

Looks like topo maps & aerial photos are going to have to do it. I suppose with the new guide there will be a relative increase in the traffic on the mountain. That probably means 1-2 parties a year, though.

Any tips on maps or are std usgs quads the best?

Thanks for the info. [big Grin]

i love mount russell!!! i've photographed it extensively.

you need to call paul roderick at TAT. 907 733 2218. if anyone can get you close, he can.

i'm not sure how to post images on this web site, otherwise i would share. email me directly for a KILLER image. i'm reluctant to share my entire stash over the internet.

mike

[ 11-01-2002, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: Mike Gauthier ]

Mike -

Post a picture on this site in the gallery section or post it on your own website (or someone else's) and then insert the link using the "Instant UBB Code" feature below the message window when you are composing.

600x800 to 800x1200 sized images work well on most people's desktops.