Charity Rainier Climb 2013?

seattlemountaine

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody know how much of your money really goes to charity? I'm looking at the climb for clean air and it's $3800 minimum but the 4 day RMI package must take at least $1000 plus the marketing an operation costs of the foundation takes a decent chunk correct me if I'm wrong. Anyone know if there Is published data on this?

"The next time some would-be adventurer tells me he’s doing an expedition to raise money for a cause, I’m finally going to say what I’ve been choking back for years: “You’re not going on your trip for charity, you’re going because you want to. Stop pretending to save the world and just go.”

Some kind of fundamental dissonance kicks in when hedonistic adventure gets slathered with pretend altruism. A typical fundraising pitch might go something like this (details changed to protect the guilty): “My goal is to raise money for charity X by becoming the Youngest Saskatchewanian Woman ever to climb Mount Everest.” Right off the bat this hits Level 3 on the B.S. scale, which measures an expedition by the number of words used to qualify the potential achievement. (“Youngest Saskatchewanian Woman” makes three.) So let’s rephrase that proposal: “My goal is to go on an expensive guided expedition to accomplish something that’s been done many times before, so it will be easier to raise funds if I also appear to be making the world a better place.”

From here:http://explore-mag.com/5784/adventure/adventures-without-a-cause

Asking for contributions can be a money making venture.

Hi I'm calling on behalf of the fire/police guild and they could really use your help. For $25 dollars you could really help people who put their lives on the line for the community

What goes unsaid is $23.75 goes to the fundraising company and $1.25 goes to the guild they called on behalf of. Walking down to the fire department and handing them $25 sounds like a better deal for the guild. No profit for the fundraisers of course ;)

Asking for contributions can be a money making venture.

Hi I'm calling on behalf of the fire/police guild and they could really use your help. For $25 dollars you could really help people who put their lives on the line for the community

What goes unsaid is $23.75 goes to the fundraising company and $1.25 goes to the guild they called on behalf of. Walking down to the fire department and handing them $25 sounds like a better deal for the guild. No profit for the fundraisers of course ;)

Yes, the more I'm looking into it I think it would be too awkward to ask for donations for something like this where a lot of the money is going towards my expedition (guide, equipment, & the fundraising company) and not the cause.

The only one that seems like a potential for me is the Climb for Himalaya Children that ajpederson mentioned, as 100% of your $1,500 pledge goes to the Mitrata-Nepal Foundation and there is no guide service, just experienced volunteers.

I wanna climb Denali for the cause of my bank account (Climb for Empty Bank). Anyone pay for my permit?

(On a serious note - I started with the Climb for Clean Air and it was a great experience. While I did get to raise SOME money that went to the charity, the group is a great group and they do a lot of outside training that you wouldn't get just booking a trip with RMI. I also found it quite cool because what it does is it gets everyone invested in your climb up Rainier. Not the n00bs and spraymasters on CC.com, but the real honest people in your life - family, coworker, etc. It's not a horrible cause unless you're a french climber who likes a cig on the summit of his closest 4km peak.)

I was one of the climb leaders on the Climb for Himalayan Children this year. It was my first time volunteering with the group, but it was a great experience and I had a ton of fun. I highly recommend considering it if you're serious about going on a charity climb.

Since the CHC is run by Red Lantern Journeys, and staffed and equipped by volunteers, there is little to no overhead to divert the funds to. I can attest to the fact that all of the money raised, minus the permits at $43/climber, does indeed go to Mitrata. ~$38,000 was donated to Mitrata from this year's climb alone, which is pretty cool.

Here's a trip report and some photos of the climb this year. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me, or I can put you in contact with the man in charge (website seems to be down now) as he will be able to answer anything better that I would.

• 2 weeks later...
"The next time some would-be adventurer tells me he’s doing an expedition to raise money for a cause, I’m finally going to say what I’ve been choking back for years: “You’re not going on your trip for charity, you’re going because you want to. Stop pretending to save the world and just go.”

This happens for sure, and there are some folks who use the charity angle to fund their trip.

But there are quite a few legitimate fundraisers that involve many volunteer guides and donations from guide companies.

Just noting the two shouldn't be confused and lumped together.