Riggins Info

frankstoneline

I searched a bit and have seen the link to the excerpt from riggins limestone. I'd like to pick up a copy but dont know when I'll be able to, so I figured I'll ask here. Considering a trip to riggins to check out the limestone for the long weekend but i'm trying to get some more info before I spring into this. Curious as to how much availability there is in the 10/11- range in the riggins area, enough to keep me busy for 3 or so days? Any beta would be awesome,

thanks in advance.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not much help on the limestone, but if you crack climb, there is a not-to-miss single pitch crack up the salmon river not too far from Riggins. Head up the salmon river from town like you were going up towards Vinegar/Carey creek boat ramps. There is a big old steel bridge in a granite gorge that crosses from the north to south side of the river. Just before you get to that bridge (traveling east) look north up the hill 50 yards or so you will see what looks like a sweet splitter finger crack, which is in fact mostly a hand crack. Park and walk up and snag this classic 5.9 or so. It is a long pitch, so full rack with stoppers up to #3 or #4 cam, with a few extra green and red sized camalots, maybe at least 2 or 3 of this size, and a couple golds. I wish my camera was working when we climbed it. There would be lines at Index and Leavenworth for this one. Not sure if you can rap on 1 rope, should bring 2, there were rap hangers on top. After you run out of the great clean crack, the last 20 feet or so are a little mungy, ends at a ledge with the rap hangers

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/943247/Re_Salmon_River_crags_near_Rig

Edited by shapp

you wont find a whole lot in the 10/11- range at riggins as far as i'm concerned. The majority of the limestone here is steep and pumpy routes, particularly in the 12 to 13 range. I've only spent time at the amphitheater, which is pretty highly concentrated with .13's. Personally I wouldn't go unless I was planning on at least climbing like .12's.. thats where the real fun starts at riggins.