New Washington Pass Super Topo book

IanNicholson

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

The passenger did get bumped to 5.12.. Better update my scorecard.

http://www.supertopo.com/rock-climbing/Washington-Pass-South-Early-Winters-Spire-The-Passenger

Jokes aside, the hard moves were short lived and not sustained. Not sure how people grade short hard moves vs long burly pitches. I always think that short hard moves are easier physiologically. The long sustained crack pitches with no "crux" are the ones that I fear.

Great route though, everyone climbing anywhere near 5.11 could get up this and have fun.

looks like a sweet book! Nice to have a guide to the area...

just wondering:

when I climbed the Passenger Route in '07 it was decidedly 11c, when did it jump grades to 12a?

A lot of parties just climb first 4 or 5 pitches and rap down. The real crux is the crappy moss covered fleering crack 2 pitches from the top (rapping after pitch 4 would explain why the bottom of the route is clean and the top is covered in dirt). Also some parties claiming doing the route, never do the crux without hanging or pulling on bolt. I think also that the crux is totally dependent on your wing span. I am 5'6.5" and I have really hard time reaching between the holds.