New Washington Pass Super Topo book

IanNicholson

After nearly 5 years of effort the Super Topo Washington Pass guide book is now complete and ready for purchase.

Washington Pass Climbing is the most detailed climber’s guide to what is arguably the best alpine rock climbing area in the Northwest. Author Ian Nicholson included 59 of the best routes and climbed every single one to ensure accuracy of the information. Nearly 20 of the routes have never before been covered with a published topo.

This book includes formerly obscure climbs and variations of all grades to provide more options for avoiding crowds. Included routes feature everything from short 4th class scrambles to 5.13 big walls. While the book features many hard test pieces in the region, there is a generous selection of moderate multi-pitch climbs in the 5.6-5.10 range.

Check it out

http://www.supertopo.com/packs/washington-pass.html

If you are willing to buy one, I would be super grateful

The eBook is ready for immediate download and you can pre-order the print book which will ship in early October.

This book has been a ton of work but I am super happy with how it turned out. I don't think a single climber could look through it and not get stoked to climb there. Even a seasoned Washington Pass climber will be surprised by the number of routes and the volume of information.

Another cool aspect to this book besides the super detailed route info is all the cool history I have compiled. The book contains fascinating first ascent stories that only add to the depth of climbing these routes.

To sum it up this book is mega sick and you should pick one up

Edited by IanNicholson

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

eek... those typos were mine. Don't blame Ian! I will fix immediately.

Anyway, hopefully the discussion will be focused on the sweet climbs at WA Pass. Coming from Tuolumne/High Sierra I was super impressed with the quality and access of all the 1,000'+ routes. And that you could still do first ascents clearly visible from the road!!

One thing you can also do there (legally unlike High Sierra) is paraglide. I guess this has been done a few times, but I was wondering if anyone has done big link ups or speed ascents/descents using one of the newer featherweight canopies.

Thanks for the sweet book, Ian! It was great to work with big alpine routes. My favorite type of climbing these days.

cover-washpass-hires.jpg

Yeah, there are few typos in the print book. Luckily we can now get em out of the eBook. But that is always the challenge with first editions and books in general. You spend hours and hours with many different people looking for errors... but at the end of the day, there is just SO MUCH info in 248 pages of text that a few thing slip by. And of course, they are immediately so obvious when put in front of a lot of eyeballs at a product launch and pointed out. And there is always a time crunch as it takes a massive effort to get these books done (the graveyard of 90% completed books is HUGE... I have a couple). But I think anyone who checks out the book or just takes the free 50-page download for a test drive will be psyched.

It's a cool book, at least in the e-version.

I look forward to the hard copy because I feel there is no substitute for stoke fodder like a hard copy guide.

I am curious as to the North Ridge, Cutthroat topo accuracy compared to what I climbed two weeks ago. It very well could be that we chose to stay on the ridge crest as much as possible but I found the topo to describe only a few of the main landmarks and some of the best climbing was not mentioned.

It is only one of many topos and like I said I could have been off the traditional line.

All in all I think the book is great and am enjoying it already.

The photos are really good as well.

I worked super hard to insure accuracy of all the topos and beta for every route. In several cases I climbed routes multiple times to further refine the beta and to more accurately draw the topos. I pretty much always climbed with a pencil and paper in my pocket, often stopping mid pitch or even several times a pitch to draw lines and scribble (sometimes to the dismay of my climbing partners, thanks guys you know who you are). In the book I have climbed many of the routes more than 10 times and I have climbed the Beckey route more than 50 times (most of those times have been guiding). On several occasions if I wasn't 100% sure I went the best way I would rap and re-climb up another way to see if it was better (also much to the dismay of my climbing partner, this was typically met with a "really..... we are gonna rap back down that pitch....really?". But in the end it resulted in a rad book with a ton of good info. I hope everyone digs it.

Tyson.g as far as the North Ridge goes, being a fairly moderate ridge means in a few sections there are subtle variations especially on the easier pitches. I climbed this route twice and talked with quite a few other climbers regarding the "best way" and have drawn what I think that is into the topo.

Even if you felt like you might have gone a slightly different way on the easier pitches I am sure most of the time when the climbing got more difficult you where forced into some of the major climbing features like the huge gendarme and the final corner system that are represented on the topo.

Yeah, no disrespect intended Ian and again the book is great.

I appreciate the effort you have invested.

I was just curious about things like the large crack slab and I never fought with a tree on route. You certainly did hit the things like the downclimb and whatnot.

Being who I am I could very well be misinterpreting the Topo.

Great job on this book Ian! The topos clearly reflect that you have climbed these routes. Spending as much time up there as I do, I am really psyched there will be one definitive guidebook that will help people stay on route, as well as steer folks to some of the less popular, yet still very worthwhile routes. For years, I felt sheepish recommending a route to someone only to say that a good topo really doesnt exist for that route. Well, thats changed now. Well done!