Cleaning a pack

B Deleted_Beck

I've never cleaned a pack before... I guess I've never had one get so stinky before. My Khamsin is fappin' nasty- crusty food and Rockstar spills, dirt and sap, bro's stale smoke, and worse, the straps smell like some killer BO- something I've not had happen on other packs. Straight up smells like a bum, sitting in my office/gear room.

I'm thinking about trying to take the frame out and throwing it in the washing machine with the Dawn Pure soap I use to wash all my other gear.. Any reason that wouldn't work? Is there a better way? What do you do? Arc'Teryx, as we all know, is proud of their shit- don't want to have to replace it any time soon.

Thanks

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to my world...I usually take my pack in the back yard (my wife don't want it smelling up the house post climbing trip) grab the hose, some liquid soap, a sponge and scrub away. Then its rinse with the hose and air dry. Smells good again. I've never tried the stuff rob mentioned, but it sounds like just the thing for multiday stank.

I remove the frame stays, turn the pack inside out and put it in the washer with everything else. No special soap. Those that won't turn inside out cinch up the straps real tight and tie the loose ends so they won't get caught on the agitator.

Once the water proof coating wears off the inside it's time for a new pack

Anybody ever tried to DWR or Scotchguard a pack? This deterioration of the waterproof membrane is really disappointing

Packs don't have waterproof membranes, rather it's usually a waterproof coating (most often, polyurethane). Applying DWR to a pack helps a little, but in my experience not much.

A waterproof liner bag is much lighter and significantly simpler than a bunch of waterproof roll-top bags.

By "membrane," I just meant whatever the filmy coating is inside there.

I'll spray the pack down with DWR... I already use water-proofed stuff sacks for everything, so I guess it's not that big o deal. But I've had all my shit get soaked with leaky packs- one of the thing I've been really impressed with Deadbird packs is that they actually do seem to stay dry. Guess I'll go back to tactics of the past.

Edited by Ben B.

There are some waterproof packs out there, all the others are just water resistant.

For DWR, I'd try washing it with the same stuff as Gore-Tex jackets - the DWR renewal wash stuff.

Otherwise, I'd probably wash it in the machine (in a large cloth bag to prevent the straps from tangling) with some mild detergent.

Or, you could always write Arcteryx and see what they recommend...

I've never cleaned a pack before... I guess I've never had one get so stinky before. My Khamsin is fappin' nasty- crusty food and Rockstar spills, dirt and sap, bro's stale smoke, and worse, the straps smell like some killer BO- something I've not had happen on other packs. Straight up smells like a bum, sitting in my office/gear room.

I'm thinking about trying to take the frame out and throwing it in the washing machine with the Dawn Pure soap I use to wash all my other gear.. Any reason that wouldn't work? Is there a better way? What do you do? Arc'Teryx, as we all know, is proud of their shit- don't want to have to replace it any time soon.

Thanks

Front load washing machine with wash-cycle or dryer-cycle DWR. That's what arcTeryx uses.