Help me fast forward 10 years with my ski gear

danmcph

I used to ski a lot. Mt Raineer, Denali, Full time ski patroller. Then the kids came and things went on pause for a few years. Big changes since my last backcountry set up was purchased. I am 6' even, 200 lbs. Solid skier. I like chutes etc but my days of hucking are past.

My current set up is a pair of Scarpa Lasers, Crossride 110's by Tua and some Dynafit bindings.

I want two set ups both will be driven by either Dynafit Performance TLT's or the Mastraela RS (Butchered the spelling)

Setup # 1

Good ski mountaineering ski, variable conditions, pow to ice. Able to drive the tails into the snow when needed for anchorse etc. (No twin tips) Short turn radius. Taking them to higher altitudes and long days

Setup # 2

This is for those days we all dream about. Pow and hero snow. Single day tours, maybe some inbounds on the way to go out of bounds

I want both setups as light as is possible without skiing a total noodle

What are your recommendations?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good start would be to get a hold of Backcountry and Powder mag's gear guides for this year. That should get you on the right path.

Off the cuff, I'd reccommend taking a look at the Dynastar Cham 107 HM for setup #2.

The only criticism I have of DPS is that to get them reasonably light you need to buy the l/w carbon versions which are $1000 plus. But if you can afford it, its probably worth it though.

As Jay said, wildsnow.com is also a good resource.

At any rate, I think you'll be pretty stoked at how modern equipment performs.

I don't know much about what is new and cool for lightweight touring skis, but have tried a fair number of powder skis in the last couple of years. I agree with what Pete said about dps being too expensive, but really the hybrid version (700 or 800 I think) isn't absurdly heavy. I've also heard good things about the BD line in the last couple of years. The Justice or Amperage should be good backcountry pow skis, the Amperage being a bit more towards the inbounds or slack country side of things. The only BD ski I've tried is the heavy, fat gigawatt, which blew my mind. This year I think I'll get Icelantic Keepers (118 under foot). I prefer to ski powder and ski inbounds about about half the time, and hike or skin half the time. Their Seeker (112 underfoot I think) is more for backcountry pow, but I'm sure would be fun inbounds too. I've found their skis to be surprisingly durible. I don't worry about low snow coverage with them and after 3 years mine have no core shots. I've skied down rocky trails covered in 6 inches of snow. Voile makes some good skis in this category too, but I can't remember much about them.

Just my opinions of course.