[TR] Mt Hood - South Side 8/17/2012

wetslide

Trip: Mt Hood - South Side

Date: 8/17/2012

Trip Report:

Guided a couple friends up Hood this last Friday. 2 of us made the summit. We saw one other person high on the mountain, an eastcoaster who seemed a little out of his element but nonetheless made the summit. We experienced very hard snow on the final headwall, and 4 inches of dirt over bullet ice in the exit shoot to the summit ridge. It was pretty unnerving climbing for about 200 feet. We brought a rope, screws, and used none of it. The route is doable but not the best conditions I've seen by far. A little late in the season for this route IMHO. Note: We had a great time partying with our local friends down there. Not that they read this board but the world needs more people like J and M. Oh, and we raised 10,000 dollars for charity by doing this climb. cheers.

IMG_7800-2.jpgIMG_7804-2.jpgIMG_7808-2.jpgIMG_7819-3.jpgIMG_7822-2.jpgIMG_7829-2.jpgIMG_7833-2.jpgIMG_7837-2.jpgIMG_7847-2.jpgIMG_7849-2.jpgIMG_7851-2.jpg

Gear Notes:

crampons, ice ax, ice screws and rope brought but not used.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

haha I knew someone was going to say something about that. Yes it was. She's from Minnesota. I didn't know until the night before the climb that she didn't have other boots. She bought those for an early season climb of hood that got shut down. She turned around about 1/3 of the way up the climb. She was fit but was having bad cramps so turned around. It was for the best.

Congrats on summiting and too bad one of you guys wasn't able to make it to the top. And how awesome are you guys for raising money for the charity to do such a climb this late of the season! I just did Hood on 7/7 and there was still a ton of snow on the summit. I would really hate to go back there and do it in August.