New Rules For Posting TR's (J.K.)

Buckaroo

So someone posted another "Best Known Time" for HIKING the Ptarmigan Traverse (zero peaks climbed). This is the traverse which was put up by climbing every big peak along the way and then some in a pretty fast time for the day, which AFAIK has not ever been repeated in 74 years.

""I just took my special lady friend on a 4-day trip through the enchantments, but we didn't summit anything and as I understand it, that's a new requirement for posting TRs?""

that's not what I said.

""So if you didn't reach the summit, you can't write a TR? Or, you have to at least try and reach a summit before you can write a TR?""

You can write a TR about HIKING the approach to one of the states biggest CLIMBING traverses all you want. But if you are going to chest-beat about it and make the title and the post primarily just a chest-beat about how fast you were hiking, then you should be called out about it. Or at least it should be pointed out how this Traverse was first put up.

"" Whatever happened to keeping the TR's spray free?""

I will delete the post if you guys are that sensitive about it. After all we can't have climbing dominate this forum.

So you hiked the Ptarmigan in 12 hours? Sorry the guys from 1938, without helmets, cams, curved pick axes, sticky rubber, or cell phones... kicked your ass. And that's all there is to it.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the party that posted that are two of the most accomplished athletes that post on this site (Uli I know he absolutely owned runs in the PNW for a long while).

I'm not so much sensitive to your post as much as I just think you're being a bit narrowed minded or perhaps dense.

To post a TR here there has NEVER been a requirement to actually climb anything. In fact some great TRs have been all about failure to do so. It is more about sharing the conditions of the back country, sharing some positive stoke, and yes occasionally throwing down a challenge or setting a bar. the fact of the matter is that these guys did something that pretty incredible....if you don't believe its true then go try it yourself.

Anyway, it is a discussion, but I don't think it much of one. We would MUCH rather have these guys posting their times, sharing their pictures of the backcountry, and challenging us to get out and speed hike/run that country if it is out thing. If it isn't? Well don't read the TR or skip the bolts.

I'm not so much sensitive to your post as much as I just think you're being a bit narrowed minded or perhaps dense.

To post a TR here there has NEVER been a requirement to actually climb anything.

Narrow minded perhaps, I'm focused on climbing. Dense I don't think so. This is the 2nd TR chest beat about hiking the Ptarmigan, I'm sorry but it just rubs my fur the wrong way. I want to see one that challenges the first ascent/traverse.

I never intended to come across as putting forth any requirement for TR's, sorry if it came across that way.

If you want to just hike the Ptarmigan Traverse approach route then call it something else because the original Traverse climbed every big peak, and you're not even coming close to doing that. Call it the Speed Hiker Integral Traverse. Stop at the base of each big peak and hold up the fingers counting them off and take documentary pics.

Otherwise I agree with the rest of what you posted.

Well christ, it looks like I have to agree with olywanker on this one.

The thing is, NOBODY does the original Ptarmigan Traverse.. you even said it yourself. But I don't hear you bitching about all the other people who claim they're doing the Ptarmigan Traverse, yet only climb 3, 4, maybe 5 peaks along the way. Do we have to dress up in wool lederhosen, tricounis, carry an alpenstock, and ride in on a horse and buggy to call our traverse the "Ptarmigan Traverse"? Hell, we're not even in the Ptarmigan Climbing Club, and the year isn't 1938, so it's downright freakin impossible to call anything the Ptarmigan Traverse ever.

Me thinks you're taking things too literally and need to lighten up. What Leor and Uli did is cover a shit ton of ground in very short order. I don't see you doing that. In fact, I don't see you doing that in even double or triple that time. So what is there to take away from this feat? Why are you trying to rain on these guys parade? Who the shittin shit cares what peaks they climb along the way?

By your definition, NOBODY has ever done the Ptarmigan Traverse except for the original Ptarmigans, yet this is the first time I've seen you call anyone out on it despite there being dozens of Ptarmigan Traverse trip reports put up prior to this one.

The first ascent party on Rainier rode in on horses. Do I have to ride in on a horse in order to claim a Rainier ascent?

Give me a freakin break!

Sincerely,

Gobbler.

""Me thinks you're taking things too literally and need to lighten up.""

I'm not the one posting 128 different split times. Besides I'm trying to lighten up and I don't think you're noticing.

""yet only climb 3, 4, maybe 5 peaks along the way. I don't see you doing that. In fact, I don't see you doing that in even double or triple that time.""

I did it with a party of 5, 2 women, 3 men, one of whom was 70 years old. We climbed 8 peaks (the 70yo climbed 1) and did it in 11 days. We weren't in any rush, I think me and the other hard climber in the group could have climbed all the Ptarmigan peaks in about 5 to 7 days, I would have to know what peaks.

""Why are you trying to rain on these guys parade?""

I'm not. I'm just in the back of the room, clearing my throat, in a calm quiet voice saying, wait a minute, the Ptarmigan Traverse was a climbing traverse, this is merely a hike.

""What Leor and Uli did is cover a shit ton of ground in very short order... Who the shittin shit cares what peaks they climb along the way?""

I think you're on the right track. Call it the Speed Hiker Integral Traverse.

Or for the PG crowd the Cascade Racers Ascent-less and Proud

Pfft, you can post a TR about whatever the hell you feel like. I posted one once about attending an All Freakin' Night horror movie festival, nothing climbed there though you could argue that watching b-grade horror movies from midnight until 10am is comparable to a forced bivy.

What about the guy who posts TR's to hiking ascents of non technical peaks that are essentially just links to his website? Do you think we've had enough TR's for the Tooth and that there is anything fresh to say about it? You know, the south side of Hood has been climbed before. The answer is that it's all well and good and more than welcome. Climbing is a member of the Digme variety of sports, and a TR is a chance to say Dig Me about your particular stoke about some aspect of this essentially frivolous hobby we share. If you don't like it, write something better.

As an example: Klenke wrote a pissy response to Leor's PT TR that you're talking about (which he has since deleted). I took him to task for it, but gently because he's a good egg with a fabulous amount of knowledge about the Cascades who doesn't post here as much as he should. Awhile back, Klenke wrote a parody of a Leor TR about hiking a peak with a dog, including his split times, and it was splendid, far more entertaining than whinging about what gets someone else excited, and I think it even made Leor laugh. See the difference in the approaches?

A TR is a TR, and if you wanna be an asshole responding to someone's TR you're gonna get spanked, thems just the rules.

The first party to traverse the Pickets skipped a bunch of peaks and so did a bunch of subsequent parties. So therefore Colin, Mark and Wayne's Southern picket and Wayne and Josh's Northern picket integral traverses were illegitimate because they did different things and took a different route than the first traverse party. Obvious, really ;)