[TR] Luna Peak, SKA - SW Ridge 8/18/2012

tvashtarkatena

Trip: Luna Peak, SKA* - SW Ridge

Date: 8/18/2012

Trip Report:

Seven days, one summit.*

With Colleen still recovering from a broken ankle, we needed to take those two expensive titanium self tapping hex heads holding her medial malleolus together for a long, slow, thorough test drive.

Day 1: Launch the Pua'a from Colonial Creek CG, paddle Diablo Lake to NPS dock, portage to Ross Lake, paddle to Big Beaver CG.

Day 2: Hike 11 mi up Big Beaver Creek to Luna CG.

Day 3: Hike about a mile further up Big Beaver trail, swamp-thrash to Big Beaver Creek, ford, and schwack 1800' up Access Creek to a basin camp at 4200.

Day 4: Up the nearly snow free, left most access gulley, then follow ridge top to 6550 camp.

Day 5: Colleen defends 6550 camp while Pat observes, but does not participate in, insect orgy on Luna summit. Colleen's ankle remains pain free, but slight swelling indicates a rest period is in order. Both descend back to 4200 camp.

Day 6: Reverse scwack down Access Creek with new, improved Big Beaver crossing just upstream of confluence, followed by hike back out to Big Beaver Camp on Ross Lake.

Day 7: Reverse paddle/portage/paddle, with a non-participatory observation of human mating rituals at the Quilceda Walmart.

Report: $4.99 polarized Berkley shades are out of stock. While in men's room, one small boy observed rushing out of restroom without washing hands. Overheard just outside the restroom:

FATHER: "Did you remember to wash your hands?"

KID: "Yes"

FATHER: "Are you lying to me?"

KID: "I washed them!"

(presumed Focus on the Family approved corporal punishment strike).

KID (now screaming) "I DID!!!!!!!!!"

SLIDESHOW

An expedition style siege of Luna Peak is not for the faint of heart. The threats are many. Tan lines. The sun burn that can result when avoiding them. Staring down your partner over that last remaining drops of bug juice. Eating all your candy. Having to re-read that Vanity Fair article on Alec Baldwin.

One must train, and train hard, for such long stretches of inactivity.

Big wall climbing or fruitless Walmart insertions are recommended.

*with apologies to Leor and company, whose feats of Alpine VO2 Maximus require no introduction.

Gear Notes:

More magazines and candy. No gear beyond trekking poles is necessary at this time.

Approach Notes:

Good ford of Big Beaver just upstream of confluence, which is impossible to find without a GPS or helper bear.

Schwack up right side of Access Creek, EZ crossing at 3800 to talus...only a minor dose of slide alder required.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet! I just took my special lady friend on a 4-day trip through the enchantments, but we didn't summit anything and as I understand it, that's a new requirement for posting TRs?

Looks like a fun trip! I haven't had a chance to check out the photos yet since I'm posting this between builds, but I'm sure I'll play with myself over them later.

You're living the dream!

Pat, as always a very entertaining TR, and great pics. Very nice shot of the frog and the insect orgy. Thanks for posting up.

A couple side notes:

I never really do walmart. Unless I have to piss, I might stop in and do it in the walmart parking lot... If that makes me an elitist prick, so be it.

I broke my ankle 15May12 (tib/fib) among other things. No surgery required. My Orthopod says not to worry about the swelling go do what I want. It takes months usually for that to return to something close to normal. Sounds from the TR like Colleen understands that and is doing really well, and that's great.

Regards,

d

Edited by dougd

• 2 weeks later...