why prussik or wait when you can get resuced?

layton

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh that is bad. I've only been involved with one rescue of my party - a buddy fell on a ledge on a variation of the NRMS 20 years ago. Dislocated a shoulder. Tried to pop it back. He was in such muscle spasams he couldn't crawl. We were mortified we had to have a 'copter rescue and took no pictures. They took him, left me on my own.

This one? Not good. The resuce thing is getting too accessible.

wait, so what's the story? They weren't actually carried off the peak or anything but the helicopter came out and lowered them new ropes? That's a pretty generous rescue service they run over there. I wonder if they'd bring me a few cams if I was feeling run out?

I was involved in a winterish (May) climb of cadaver gap when a partner took a pretty gnarly fall into a crevasse at the top of the gap. Long story short, even being simply capable was not enough. But eff it; your beer drinking time is way more precious than t-ball practice for your partner's kids; right?

I was involved in a winterish (May) climb of cadaver gap when a partner took a pretty gnarly fall into a crevasse at the top of the gap. Long story short, even being simply capable was not enough. But eff it; your beer drinking time is way more precious than t-ball practice for your partner's kids; right?

I'm not really sure what you're saying; how do beer drinking or t-ball practice fit in?

Anyway, if it were me, I'd be pretty embarrassed to ever say anything like this:

I had prusiks but thought that might be an ordeal. After an hour of trying to free them I realized I could see the lights of Pinedale so I called SAR.

I'm not really sure what you're saying; how do beer drinking or t-ball practice fit in?

Anyway, if it were me, I'd be pretty embarrassed to ever say anything like this:

The comparison is that you are spending your free time fucking off rather than ensuring you can take care of your partners; enabling them to attend their kids' t-ball games....

I think much of the commentary here but really mostly over "there" has missed one important point: the stranded party looked out and SAW Pinedale and it was really easy to dial the rescue people on the phone. The caller may or may not be unqualified or whatever else you may think they were, but this technology changes what we do. Pinedale (Mtn. Rescue) did what they did, but the whole thing arose because the climber SAW Pinedale and could talk to someone there without moving.

There's no reason to be embarrassed about sucking your mama's tit and then posting an account of the whole perverted wussy event on the Internet. Provided you did it because you SAW her when you were hungry during excellent weather.

WTF.

And then there's the type of character who'd rather steal your lunch money. You know, the type you'd prefer as partner.

this story is kind of funny because just the other day I was doing R&D and I got stuck behind a slow party and topped out in the dark, when I realized I had forgotten my sneakers for the descent. I was going to walk down in my rock shoes, but that sounded like an ordeal, especially in the dark. That's when I realized that I could see the lights of Leavenworth, so I called SAR. They brought a helicopter by and dropped a pair of sneakers right into my hand, it was impressive.

They said, "better safe than sorry" and that I could have gotten a really nasty blister.

this story is kind of funny because just the other day I was doing R&D and I got stuck behind a slow party and topped out in the dark, when I realized I had forgotten my sneakers for the descent. I was going to walk down in my rock shoes, but that sounded like an ordeal, especially in the dark. That's when I realized that I could see the lights of Leavenworth, so I called SAR. They brought a helicopter by and dropped a pair of sneakers right into my hand, it was impressive.

They said, "better safe than sorry" and that I could have gotten a really nasty blister.

:lmao:

What's wrong with

• Sit down
  • Shut up
  • Wait till the sun comes up
  • Fix the problem yourself

That's pre-smartphone thinking of course :crazy:

I think we went to the same school, though I suspect you were that guy who stole my lunch money.

I ain't that kind of guy.

My payback for an unplanned night out in the mountains came in the form of a note. A decade later, hundreds of miles from the event, and totally unexpected. :lmao:

Message-Board-Note_B.jpg

Pfffft! Just gotta new smartPhone app. All it takes is a swipe of yer finger on the little glass screen, over an icon named "SAR Now!" Use it, and minutes later you get to that Leavenworth crag a helicopter delivery of PBR right into yer hot sweaty hand. Now that's impressive!

(This promo has been brought to you by Technology to the Rescue, intellectual property of Microsoftie and the Alpine Bellywash Corporation--for the hardman who wants to be careful.)

True Story: I recently found myself completely lost in unfamiliar terrain. I could not navigate my way out of the situation. Things were looking bleak. After 20 minutes of going back and forth trying to assess my situation and determine my location I caved and called for help. I was clearly out of options. I was out of coffee and food.

I realized that I was going to be late and people would start to worry. They would probably start calling. Possibly even calling work and that could've been bad.

Finally I got out a map and tried to use that to figure out where I was and how to get back. I failed miserably. Who the hell navigates with a map??? Finally with the aid of the smart phone, gps on the smart phone and an app i downloaded called "google maps". I was able to determine my location.

I was shocked to find that I was deep in the wilderness. Far, far from where I should be. It was totally flat with no navigable features. How the hell was I going to get out of here??? I certainly was never going to find my way on my own.

Left with no alternative, already 30 minutes late for an appointment I did the only thing I could do. I pulled out the only useful piece of equipment I had. I activated the emergency starbucks locator beacon. I was guided in safely to the nearest store. The rescue team provided me with warm coffee and snack. Fortunately, the folks who were expecting me were

also able to locate the starbucks and safely meet me there. With the help starbucks search and rescue I was only 60 minutes late. Thank goodness for modern technology.

That's how I survived my trip to Fort Wayne, IN