Any lo-tech mtneering?

CharlesEvans

Ok, we're going to AK on a road trip, just to look around, no expeditioning or anything bulky and heavy. Are there areas anyone would reccomend for easy climbs/scrambles? Sort of a Joffre/Matier or Mt Baker area? I don't want to take the rack for a ride, but there would be room for an axe and crampons.

Ideas suggestions or vitriol?C

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Donohoe Peak", Wrangell Mountains. 3 easy days out of Mcarthy.

"Flower Mountain" 2 Days out of Haines.

Also, it looked like there were some good scrambles above The Chilkoot Trail, and some more technical climbs above Laughton Glacier out of Skagway.

The possibilities are almost endless...

• 2 weeks later...

Try the Mentasta Mountains (Alaska Range) - East of AK HWY 4 between Paxson and Delta Junction (AKA Big Delta). Park anywhere along the highway and head east. Near a military site called Black Rapids Training site (about 32 miles south of Delta Junction), try heading up one of the creeks like Gunnysack Creek or Upper Suzy Q to avoid the scrub alder then get out and gain any of the ridgelines that will get you onto moderate peaks in the area. A bit further south, Triangle Peak is a great two day trip. The Rainbow Mountains are still another great area to play around in. If the weather is good you will have great views of the Alaska Range (Mt. Hayes, Moffit, Shand), and you can link ridgleines to get from peak to peak (5000' to 8000') There are some more serious peaks in that area (Black Warrior, Silver Tip, Old Snowy, etc), and though there are glaciers, you can avoid them if you want to by staying on the ridgleines. This was my backyard for a couple of years and like everything else in Alaska it is an incredible area. You will need Bear protection.

I'm not sure where you're headed in Alaska, it's a big place . . . but if you're going to spend any time on the Kenai Peninsula I could definately recomend some fun trips. An ice axe and crampons will get you onto a lot of beautiful peaks.

If you'll be around that area, check out my webpage, I've been trying to compile route information.

http://www.plu.edu/~faustme

Have a good time, man, I miss it a lot.