Overnight Enchantments No Permit?

Crillz

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Enchanments_zone_map.jpg

Yeah, its required, I don't think they care if you are bivied on top of a pointy rock, or hunkered down in a cushy nest of goat fleece. I was up by Colchuck lake mid-July, the rangers were heavily policing for overnight permits by interrogating everyone for their permit. "PAPERS PLEASE!"

It seems that the boundary is the Stuart Range ridgeline - based on the cartoon map they provide. So if you go over to the south of Colchuck Pass, you might be able to camp on the backside or something sans permit.

Edited by SemoreJugs

Enchanments_zone_map.jpg

Yeah, its required, I don't think they care if you are bivied on top of a pointy rock, or hunkered down in a cushy nest of goat fleece. I was up by Colchuck lake mid-July, the rangers were heavily policing for overnight permits by interrogating everyone for their permit. "PAPERS PLEASE!"

It seems that the boundary is the Stuart Range ridgeline - based on the cartoon map they provide. So if you go over to the south of Colchuck Pass, you might be able to camp on the backside or something sans permit.

That map is confusing. According to this one (also from the FS site), Stuart is out of the permit zone. Which is correct?

Permit_Map.jpg

is the boulder field below dragontail a permit-free zone? seems like years ago i was told that by a ranger - at any rate, it's a clearly low-impact campign zone as you can't help but be on rock.

Ivan, As it was described to me, you have to be on the Dragontail/Stuart ridgeline to avoid the permit but there were few rangers on the Backbone route or Serpentine. The devil is in the details.

Be fit, do not camp (the biggest impact and requires no permit) and leave no trace. This is what experienced wilderness people do.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try and remember that next time I do a multi day trip. I'll just sleep when I'm done.

Just turn a multiday trip into a one day trip. Peter Croft started at the road on Icicle, hiked up to Stuart TH, free solo'd N. Ridge of Stuart complete then Dragontail then Prusik. All in one day. An inspiration for us all and no permit required.
Great advice, why didn't I just think "I'm Peter Croft, I can do the whole range in a day". Turns out, I aint no Peter Croft.

Just turn a multiday trip into a one day trip. Peter Croft started at the road on Icicle, hiked up to Stuart TH, free solo'd N. Ridge of Stuart complete then Dragontail then Prusik. All in one day. An inspiration for us all and no permit required.

Because it's out of reach for most of us mere mortals. Also, some of us don't find that "fun".

Ironically Peter got questioned by The Man about why anybody would be walking up the road or trail in the middle of the night. Concerns about regulations really crimp creativity in the outdoor world.

And I understand Croft has another level. But there are plenty of people that post on this site that could or have done huge one day trips that don't require permits.

Because it's out of reach for most of us mere mortals. Also, some of us don't find that "fun".

And in climbing, it doesn't have to be fun to be fun.

These are the peaks Croft Traversed

Stuart

Sherpa

Argonaut

Colchuck

Dragontail

Prusik

I prefer multi-day climbs for the alpine ambience and in my over the hill condition it's practically mandatory. I could do Serpentine in a day but it would be a death march.

• 7 months later...

I've done Single Day Climbs a few times, I normally leave Grand Coulee at 6am, get to the Trailhead 3 hrs later, start on the trail, get to Colchuck Lake, around to Aasgard/Dragontail, Summit and back down, then drive home the same day.

Ill be heading there in a few weeks, but will be camping over night on Sunday.

I admire your effort and hoped you enjoyed it. The Enchantments are amazing.

But Croft summited multiple peaks free solo climbing (see earlier threads but included N. Ridge of Stuart, Dragontail, and Prusik) and should we could all aspire to the same but few will.

Edited by matt_warfield