Real Question

kevbone

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and whys is the defense spending bigger then during WWII? And why do we have more generals in the military now, then during WWII?
Although I've never worked in the bureaucracy, my understanding is budgets are not only "use it or lose it" when it comes to funding, but also are incentive-ized to need more every year... If I don't use $XXXX, I will get less $ next year. Therefore, I must also spend MORE than budgeted in order to demand an increase in the last budget. Seems our entire infrastructure is set up that way, no?

Why is there always money for war and no money for education?

The US spends more per child for education than any other nation.

How do the figures for money spent per child on education compare to how much per capita is spent on the war machine(s)? I'm sure it depends on who you ask, but I'd bet we still spend WAY more on war than education, no matter which angle you look at if from.

I think it's cute how the government borrows trillions of dollars to give to the banking lobby, and then pretends that it's the social welfare programs that are bankrupting us. :lmao:

:tup:

We spend too much across the board. It's not one area specifically, and yes, social programs are very significant portion of federal outlays, as are military expenditures, and paying interest on the debt.

There is money for education. We spend shit loads, more than any other country, and the ROI we are getting on that investment blows.

I know three teachers that just got laid off due to budget cut backs. Care to explain how "there is money for education"?

Why is there always money for war and no money for education?

Have you ever had a period in time where you have NOT heard there is too much money for education? In my lifetime I have always heard people whine about not enough money for education. Always. Even during the dot.com bubble and this state had excess money. Always.

When you get kids in the public school system, then you start learning about waste.

War. Yes. A waste.

I know three teachers that just got laid off due to budget cut backs. Care to explain how "there is money for education"?

bureaucracy. how many administrators making a fat paycheck got laid off, do you think?

Bingo!! I would like to see a simple statistic that shows the percentage of administrative costs from the whole at each School District over 30 years. My hunch is that the administrative costs have never decreased....

Edited by Stefan

From my experiece - wife went from scientist to teacher - and my volunteering with the school system - there is a need for some better systems management in the bureacracy and as principals. The SSD needs some tighter mgmt.

That said - it pales in comparison to the most miniscule waste in the military consulting and contracting business - it doesn't even amount to pencil dust. Really. And that is not even considering the larger picture of why we find in necessary to spend more than the top 15 countries in the world combined!!! Combined!

The biggest thing I hear from teachers that would help is reducing class size and getting more help for the special needs kids. Classes with 32 kids and with a wide range of abilities from advanced to kids with Asbergers makes it quite the challenge. Where would you want your kid in a class of 16 or 32 if you had the choice? Recent cuttbacks have include the administration and the front line teachers. But - teachers aren't expecting any great movement to arise - they know folks only put lip service to how they say they value education.

One other thought - pay salaries for the Seattle School Board members. WTF? Who would take this thankless job and how much time can you put into it without pay unless you are rich? A professional board would go a long way to oversight.

Edited by Jim

That said - it pales in comparison to the most miniscule waste in the military consulting and contracting business - it doesn't even amount to pencil dust. Really.

We still spend far more per student than any other country. Military spending is a totally different issue. Why do we spend more per student than other countries and do worse in math, science, and well across the board?

We still spend far more per student than any other country.

Actually, this isn't true. Switzerland pays more than us, and the statistic you're referring to is only among OECD countries, which doesn't include every country, and skips some big ones like Canada. And it's not "far more," -- many countries are close.

We still spend a lot, though.

That said - it pales in comparison to the most miniscule waste in the military consulting and contracting business - it doesn't even amount to pencil dust. Really.

We still spend far more per student than any other country. Military spending is a totally different issue. Why do we spend more per student than other countries and do worse in math, science, and well across the board?

"Far more" is an exaggeration - but you are correct. Depending on the study we are either number 1, 2, or 3 in dollar expenditure per student while lagging in math and science particularly. That said - we are ranked 37th in the world if you look at spending per student as a percentage of GDP.

We are such a big country with strong regional differences and then there's the state's rights thing. Other countries may have an easier time developing and implementing common standards. I don't know. But you are correct again - the cost of administration is too high. The poster child is the District of Columbia where they spend the most per child than any major city and have the worst outcome - and have the highest administrative costs.

And Seattle has admin cost issues as well. But when I'm in the public school as a volunteer all I see is the teachers working their butts off all year, including the summer, to do the best for their kids. And taking money out of their pockets for supplies to make sure the kids get what they need. I'd say we annually spent $1200 for school supplies - in addition to kicking in for the auction donations. Never heard about the military having to have an auction.

Honesty, I'm not clear how one goes about tweaking a bureacracy to get leaner and put more of an emphasis on math and science. Part of it is our society in general, who, while enamored with technology results - iPads, phones, games - is scared of math and science. it definately needs to start earlier in the education cycle. It also is complicated by poverty, lack of support at home, and yes, religious wackos who don't want science taught but prefer bible thumping.

So what's a person to do about their kid's education? What I've seen that works is common sense. Read to you kid a lot and get them to read early, encourage their passions, let them know they are loved and they can do whatever they choose, but that it will take hard work. Don't coddle them. Let them earn things instead of expecting gifts.

The larger picture of education reform? It's not clear to me. But - my guess is that if we cut our military budget in half and put some of that towards our debt and the rest in building up our communities - infrastructure, transportation, job training, headstart, daycare - it also would help our education scores.

But when I'm in the public school as a volunteer all I see is the teachers working their butts off all year, including the summer, to do the best for their kids. And taking money out of their pockets for supplies to make sure the kids get what they need.

That's true. But wanna guess what would happen if we added $$ to any school district's budget? The last people to get it would be the teachers. I don't know what the solution *is* but I know it is *not* throwing more money at a bureaucracy that has so many issues with it.