Rockfall on acid baby (Aasgaard) on Sat (8/11/12)

minna

My partner and I planned a day trip to climb Acid Baby on Saturday, 8/11/10. We slept at the Colchuck trailhead on Friday night 8/10/12 and started at 3am on 8/11/12. We were at the base of the climb at 7.30am. By about 12.30 we had finished 4 pitches, and my partner was starting up pitch 5 - climbing strong. Almost at the top of pitch 5, he weighted a large block of rock, which was unfortunately detached and down it came with him. I caught the fall; however, he had a pretty severe laceration on his left leg, a wrist injury and bruises and we both were pretty shaken. We had to bail. We did multiple rappels off gear till we were off the route.

It took 4.5 hours to decent Aasgard with his injuries and another 5+ hours to walk out on Sunday, but he was determined to walk out. Since the injuries weren't life threatening, he didn't want to wait for a helicopter and decided to self-evacuate. We were lucky and very grateful for our friends who came out in the middle of the night from Leavenworth and Seattle to help us. The forest ranger who hiked up to us and accompanied us down, and many other strangers helped us along the way - many thanks to them.

Did anyone climb acid baby on Sunday? Just wondering if anyone recovered our gear and maybe would like to part with it ..

Thanks!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

glad ur friend is okay mister, glad u guy got out there and had a kickass adventure on ur own. hope u don't let this get u down and u go out and experience many more. fuck ur gear dude, u guys got off easy. if u do get it back, COOL IN THE GANG! but be thankful for a lifetime worth of?????? i hope u gained something :)

Yikes! Glad to hear everyone made it out ok. I did the route two weeks ago and was curious, which block came off. Is it at the end of the handcrack right after a finger crack in a left facing corner that starts off from a nice ledge? I almost pulled a monster off right there and nearly sh*t myself then ended up dropping my three and gunning for it. Curious if that block is now gone and you didnt happend to find a #3 c4 along with way?

in a left facing corner that starts off from a nice ledge? I almost pulled a monster off right there and nearly sh*t myself then ended up dropping my three and gunning for it. Curious if that block is now gone and you didnt happend to find a #3 c4 along with way?

Yes, that's the one I dislodged. The block is gone now. We didn't see a #3 c4.

in a left facing corner that starts off from a nice ledge? I almost pulled a monster off right there and nearly sh*t myself then ended up dropping my three and gunning for it. Curious if that block is now gone and you didnt happend to find a #3 c4 along with way?

Yes, that's the one I dislodged. The block is gone now. We didn't see a #3 c4.

Sue Rolf, I told him to trundle it, but he had a crazed look in his eyes and said, "Fuck em" and then cackled maniacally

Thank you everyone for your concern and well wishes; I am very appreciative. I wanted to provide you all with a quick update regarding my injuries and also thank those people who helped me during my descent.

As for the injuries: I have a fractured wrist (scaphoid) that will require a surgery. My knee hurts if put weight on it or bend it and a MRI has been taken which will be evaluated on Tuesday-- hopefully it’s nothing too bad. I suffered a lacerationon my shin that was sutured without complication. Other than this I have a few minor abrasions and bruises.

I came out alright considering what happened. I deeply regret not paying more attention; I could have avoided dislodging the loose rock at the top of that pitch. You live you learn I guess. Thankfully I was wearing a helmet which absorbed the majority of the impact. Thanks to my climbing partner for dodging the rock, catching my fall and working to affect our self-rescue.

Thanks so much to the strangers who helped us with the finalbit at the base of the climb, giving us food/water and providing updates on the rescue situation. Additionally, I am lucky and thankful to have wonderful friends who came out in themiddle of the night from Leavenworth and Seattle to help us.

I look forward to many more adventures in the mountains-- most definitely wiser and safer.

-Sandeep

Edited by Sandeep

• 2 weeks later...
Glad they made it out ok AND they are getting their kit back. Did this rockfall seriously affect the route?

YES!, There are still large blocks that must be mantled over! Save a yellow Metolious for plugging in above the blocks.

It would be great to clear these off the route. Maybe a ranger could clear the base area and a party could trundle them off?

Also the retreat rope is still up there quite a ways to the right of pitch 1. Another retrieval trip would be greatly appreciated, Thanks, and glad your party got back safe.

These may be the loose blocks ( in foreground} that are left over from the august 2012 accident and they are very loose. They can be protected with a yellow Metolious cam above them, and then mantled upon with great care. They should be trundled though by a local party with ground support clearing the trail of people below. Spread the word, Thanks.

P1050270.JPG