McKinley River crossing

dkemp

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bring a pair of shoes and/or neoprene socks to wear- don't stash them on the far side though, as you'll probably need them at Clearwater Creek also.

it's braided channels, some shallow, some waist deep and fast. Cross in the morning and use a stick or something to hold each other together; walk in a line so the downstream folks have a current break to walk in, and keep the strongest person upstream.

I've been over it twice, but both times in the winter or early spring when it could be skied over.

You'll also want a headnet and pepper spray.

If it's raining hard you might do like a friend once did on his way to Brooks- camp on the north side of the river for a week waiting for the swollen river to come down... and then go home.

Don't mean to bum ya' out...just as with everything in Alaska, aim high but prepare to fail.

To make you feel better, once you get across the river, the Brooks climb looks very aesthetic!

FYI- the junction of the Traleika and Muldrow is very jumbled moraines and a bunch of bs to deal with. I've been up the Traleika and to get to it we actually went up the Muldrow about 1/2 mile, then cut over to the base of Mt. Tatum, then traversed back towards the Traleika. To get to Brooks, however, you might want to hug the north edge of the Muldrow while heading down glacier from McGonagall Pass, getting past the broken confluence of the glaciers, then try heading straight across the Muldrow to the base of your route. I assume you're planning to try the north ridge. That's been on my list for years.

Good Luck!

Thanky kindly. North Ridge - you bet.

And since we'll have 12 days of perfect weather wink.gif" border="0 we also plan to hike up the Muldrow to Gunsight Pass and hike the first little bump up Pioneer Ridge, Point 9240 - should provide some nice views!

-Dox

quote:

Originally posted by iamjacktors:
And don't listen to that W guy, he doesn't know shit.

Jack Tor-S, is it?.....your identity has been logged and is not a secret! Don't make me 'out' you, Jerky!

If you hit high water you might try going up to where the McKinely bar comes out of the Muldrow. I did that once and it worked out fine. It's a lot of extra miles but it's better than sittin in the rain and then going home. You still have to cross a tributary that can be full too but as I remember, it was braided upstream about a mile or so. We followed huge fresh bear tracks up the stream. He ate me and that's how I became a dung beetle. [chubit]

one time took me 4 hours of hellone time took me 45 minutes of helland another time 20 minutes of easy skiingjust be aggressive, choose your route through the braids wisely, don't be afraid to back track across braids to find a better alternative, sound out the channels with rocks and probe with ski poles. Don't do anything silly like use ropes or take your backpack off (make sure you unclip the waist belt so you can get out of it quickly.) We crossed 25 or 30 braids, once during a heavy rain in July. We found the best method was to link arms, put your strongest guy upstream and make a bee-line for the other side. Prepare for everything to get soaked. And the water is butt-cold. Parts of my feet were numb for months after the 4 hour crossing.As far as the approach, McGonagall to the base of Tatum then back to Brooks is a sure bet, but depending on conditions, Oastler Pass then straight across can save you a lot of time. But you won't know until you've chosen a pass. Likely you'll meet another party coming out that you can squeeze beta from.

Oh yeah and be careful with the pepper spray, it just makes everything taste like a spicy pepper dish to the bears. You're more likely to be eaten alive by mosquitos than bears.

And don't listen to that W guy, he doesn't know shit.

Enjoy!

Yo dkemp,

I would suggest going earlier than later, for greaterease on many levels. My friends and I did the MuldrowTraverse this last year, and started the approach onApril 29th. Many of the reasons earlier is better include,Wonder Lake being frozen over, the McKinley River willbe much more shallow (shin deep for us), the smallerbraids will be frozen over, no bugs (too cold), lowerchance of bear encounters, easier travel and so on. Have fun on point 9240, the views will be amazing!By the way, W is one of the few people on this sitethat knows what the hell he's talking about. Have funin AK!

[big Drink]

[ 03-23-2002: Message edited by: Richard Pumpington ]