Summer in the cascades: temperatures

khu

So I'm fairly new to climbing in the cascades. I'm wondering what kind of temperatures to expect on a climb of Mount Adams I'm doing next weekend. We're planing on spending the night at the Lunch Counter and I'm trying to figure out what sleeping bag to bring. I've got a 0deg, 15deg and 50deg travel bag. I assume the 50deg bag would be fine in the summer, and I can always slip on a bivy sack in the tent or something for extra warmth.

Also, what should I bring for clothes? I've only climbed once in the summer, that was middle sister, and temperatures were on the warm side. What kind of max and min should I plan for during the hike and at camp at night? Thanks for the help!

Khu

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

i think you're on the right track. adams this time of year wind is your biggest factor imo. If I had those 3 bags I'd take the 50deg and a bivy sack and a light or midweight puffy coat to supplement and possibly be used on the summit.

max 75 in sun just above treeline coming back to you car? low...40 at 5am when its windy just before sunrise? just a guess. Take portland temps and subtract 10-15 degrees (guessing here). in a handful of summer ascents of adams ive only ever worn zip-off pants/shorts, a tshirt or longsleeve sun protection shirt, a light jacket (marmot driclime), and then a puffy jacket (medium[mont bell thermawrap], or light [patagoo nanopuff]. maybe thrown on my hard shell to really cut wind once. thin beanie for a hat. i worry much more about protecting from sun than from cold on adams from july-september

cheers

Check the forecast just before you guy and find out about freezing temp's and wind speed, etc. In general, I you're be OK with a 50 degree and a bivy sack unless its exceptionally cold.

On these volcanoes you need to plan for a fairly wide range of temp's due to elevation and wind. You may be hiking up in shorts but on the summit you'll probably want pants, a mid layer, and maybe a lightweight puffy. You can also wear this stuff when you sleep if you need.