to all my climbing friends

sk

and all my friends who are climbers, goodbye. i can no longer call myself a climber. I really haven't climbed since 2007. now it is time to kiss the rock goodbye along with my gear. it is with a river of tears and a heavy heart that i do this. I wish you all well and great climbing. Thank you so much all of you for all of the good times, great climbs and random meetings at the Sun Spot, spring things and love fests. we have had some good times. I give my gear away on the 17th of August to a new climber. Today I tried to climb with my old climbing partner for the last time. eventually i should prolly get rid of my cc.com account.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah shit. I was just reading a trip report from some dude that hadn't climbed for 20 years who got enticed out on the rock. Fact is once a climber always a climber*. The tuft will be there for you when you come back to it years from now.

*Just like heroin!

Edited by G-spotter

Gotta say Drew is right Muff. Hey, even if you need to lose the gear to gain some space never say never. You can always borrow or buy the new hot prana top and harness.

It can always come back to you again, even if its struggling up a 5.7, it can still be fun.

I haven't been climbing for a while myself due to pouring my heart and soul (and time) into raising one boy the best I can and helping him do what he wants to do. But I still dream of it all the time and will find a way to get back out there, and when my time is my own again I will.

There are still lots of great times ahead of you, don't limit yourself...some of them could be climbing.

lol that is what i was thinking G, and kinda hoping.

I haven't climbed a hole lot since 07 myself, maybe a dozen times.

I hope to change that within the next yr or 2.

And Muff it was defiantly fun meeting you and climbing with you waaaaay back when, its been a little while.

you are all the best and i love you dearly but my body is failing. I will hold out hope because you do. but i am still giving away my gear and hanging up my prana top. and maybe i will keep my cc.com just to see what is going on :moondance:

i know this dude who regularly quits climbing every few years, sells off all his gear, yet is always back out before too long

hey, fat, creaky bastards are all mt hood and the like, so take a big long nap, get good n' drunk, n' get back out there, hear?

and all my friends who are climbers, goodbye. i can no longer call myself a climber. I really haven't climbed since 2007. now it is time to kiss the rock goodbye along with my gear. it is with a river of tears and a heavy heart that i do this. I wish you all well and great climbing. Thank you so much all of you for all of the good times, great climbs and random meetings at the Sun Spot, spring things and love fests. we have had some good times. I give my gear away on the 17th of August to a new climber. Today I tried to climb with my old climbing partner for the last time. eventually i should prolly get rid of my cc.com account.

I think it's ok to quit and not have to endure the pain if that's the options. Find something you love to do and reveling it. Lifes too short already. Wish you the best! Warm regards and thank YOU for the memories too.

After injuring myself six years ago climbing dropped to near zero, but I'm on the way back. No desire for El Cap, but there are lots of cool peaks with rock climbing. :wave:

thank you for the inspiration Kurt. We will see what the future brings.

i know this dude who regularly quits climbing every few years, sells off all his gear, yet is always back out before too long

hey, fat, creaky bastards are all mt hood and the like, so take a big long nap, get good n' drunk, n' get back out there, hear?

Ivan if it were that easy i would be back in a flash. maybe someday this will be possible and i plan to hold on to hope. :moondance:

I think it's ok to quit and not have to endure the pain if that's the options. Find something you love to do and reveling it. Lifes too short already. Wish you the best! Warm regards and thank YOU for the memories too.

thank you bill. thank you for understanding.

Once a climber always a climber. I climb outside like once a very couple of months because I am an engaged father of two.....but they are getting older and I now take them with me.

YOU WILL CLIMB AGAIN!

i hope you are right :) gunna be damn expensive to replace all my gear when that day comes :noway:

i creaky bastards are all mt hood and the like,

Ivan: I resemble that remark...

Muffy: When I was seriously injured this spring in a motorcycle accident, I tried not to think about climbing, or my motorcycle for a while. I needed the time to heal. That lasted about two weeks.

I'm also getting a little older, and from time to time I wonder if climbing is something I should continue to do. For me, it always comes back to my love of the mountains. I still love a good challenge, and enjoy meeting like minded folks.

If it is your time to leave climbing I wish you well. It is good that you hold out some hope you will return some day, in some way.

My sense is, you love it too.

d

"My sense is, you love it too."

I am not sure love is a strong enough word

I can certainly relate. I sold my rock gear in the '90s. Except for harness, shoes (still have those fires'), and other sundries... Ropes, rack, etc... Gone. The friend I sold (gave away) this box full of stuff to couldn't believe his luck but I was done with serious rock climbing and I knew it. I was always more of an alpine guy at heart but I did so love rock climbing. It was an obsession there for a while...

I realized it on the summit of the Grand Teton, after a solo climb of the Owen Spalding Route. I wanted that summit so bad and when I got there, I just felt empty. Man, I was just worn out. I did really enjoy meeting Jim Donini on the summit that day though. We chatted away about climbing and stuff he was working on in Alaska at the time then descended together, doing the double rope rappel... Very cool. It took me a few years away but the fire returned...

Anyways, story time's over, promise. Sounds like you need some more time before you give away your stuff Muff. JMHO

d

I don't think I could ever get rid of my climbing stuff. Climbing is life, and I think I'd rather die than accept a lifetime without it. At least now I can convince myself that it's only temporary! Maybe it's delusion, but keeping my rack in the closet is a necessary part of harboring that delusion.

"My sense is, you love it too."

I am not sure love is a strong enough word

I can certainly relate. I sold my rock gear in the '90s. Except for harness, shoes (still have those fires'), and other sundries... Ropes, rack, etc... Gone. The friend I sold (gave away) this box full of stuff to couldn't believe his luck but I was done with serious rock climbing and I knew it. I was always more of an alpine guy at heart but I did so love rock climbing. It was an obsession there for a while...

I realized it on the summit of the Grand Teton, after a solo climb of the Owen Spalding Route. I wanted that summit so bad and when I got there, I just felt empty. Man, I was just worn out. I did really enjoy meeting Jim Donini on the summit that day though. We chatted away about climbing and stuff he was working on in Alaska at the time then descended together, doing the double rope rappel... Very cool. It took me a few years away but the fire returned...

Anyways, story time's over, promise. Sounds like you need some more time before you give away your stuff Muff. JMHO

d

i need more time but my health doesn't. I have done nothing but get more sick over the past 5 years. this is part of the acceptance that i am not getting better. i don't like it but i don't think i am supposed to. it is just what needs to be done.

I don't think I could ever get rid of my climbing stuff. Climbing is life, and I think I'd rather die than accept a lifetime without it. At least now I can convince myself that it's only temporary! Maybe it's delusion, but keeping my rack in the closet is a necessary part of harboring that delusion.

I kept my gear for 5 years with no climbing. it is like keeping a toy that never gets played with. my gear is going to a home where it will be used, travel to Thailand, maybe go to Greece. plus to to Leavenworth and Smith and exit 38. how can i deny my gear such a full life?