Wind River Range in Late Sept

I'm contemplating a trip to the Winds the last week of Sept. Never been there and trying to determine the 'season'. Anyone have any input on typical weather that time of year? I would assume it's getting iffy in terms of possible snow, etc. but just curious what people have experienced. Rainy, snowy, pretty cold??

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to go to the winds every year, preferably in September. There is less bugs (hopefully), cool days and possible some fall colors and or early snow. The last time I was at the winds, it was the 3rd week in October and we had traces of snow and pretty cool nights.

The only draw back is elk hunting season when every hunter in Wyoming seems to be up there. I don't recall when the season starts/ends, though. Still, it is pretty easy to find plenty of isolated, grand alpine peaks and valleys. If it were me, I'd head straight into the Cirque of the Towers, approaching from the west side out of Pinedale, WY.

Have a great trip. I'm jealous!

late sept will be few bugs but cold and short days, youll be trying to climb in the sun so some routes like n side pingora might be too cold. only one time i was there was a week in mid sept and it was super nice, no one around but quite chilly

went early september and had a couple inches of fresh snow overnight one time. melted out on south facing aspects but not on north facing for a while.

Hardly any bugs though.

never saw a bear either but that doesn't mean they're not around.

so jealous.

if it looks like it will be too cold up at the cirque, maybe climb in the lower areas around deep lake or other areas.

Both of my trips there were in early September. Bugs were all gone, and so were the crowds - had Deep Lake to ourselves in 2010. But it does start getting cold and the weather gets more "animated." Expect temps overnight to be near or below freezing, cold wind, chilly morning starts, and frozen fingers if you're in the shade. We experienced everything from calm, blue-bird 60-degree days to thunderstorms and hail mid-route.

In other words, it's the best time of year to go.