avalanches?

bolt_clipper

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was there on thursday. i don't think there's much danger of avalanches if you're talking about stuff falling off of the mountain onto the cones already at the base. it was warm, though, so even though it was raining outside it was much wetter inside the caves. i didn't spend much time inside them - they're pretty freaky, not to mention wet, ... and the ice in there seemed pretty brittle. if it stays above freezing i definitely wouldn't go spelunking around in there if you know what i mean. the danger of caves collapsing is not worth that risk! if you just want to tool around, though, there are some vertical walls that extend beyond the roof of the big cave on the rightmost debris cone (as you're looking at big four). you can traverse around on those walls to your heart's content. they're textured, too, (with big vertical suncup-like features) so you can make it as hard or easy as you like. park at the picnic area 'cause the trailhead lot is closed. and have fun - the ice on those walls was damned near perfect when i was there. [big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by bolt clipper:

I'm heading up the Big Four caves tomorrow. What's the likelyhood of dangerous avalanche conditions?

Can someone enlighten me as to where the Big Four Caves are? I haven't heard of these. It appears that they contain ice climbing, yes? TIA

...sobo