Achilles tightness

Anyone have problems with their achilles tendons getting super tight after climbing/hiking in crampons all day? I was on the DC route on Rainier all day yesterday, this morning I couldn't walk down the stairs my tendons were so tight. I had the same thing happen to me a few weeks ago after getting off of Mt Adams. Is this a common thing?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dude go get it checked, i was having some issues with my lower leg/ ankle and keep using it, i ended up with a partial tear on my Achilles. it sucks and takes about 12 weeks to heal. not worth letting it slide. also, 6months later i fully tore it, and needed surgery to repair. i read that its a fairly common injury for people in there early 30's who stop training at some point then go back into sports.

I've had similar symptoms on and off, since returning from Nepal in 2004. Mostly occurs after big climbs like Rainier etc. I've not had more serious issues arise such as mentioned by whirlwind but what I've tried to do since '04 is add emphasis in my training regimen to strengthen and stretch the achilles, calf, ham strings, glutes, lumbar et al. I've found it has helped me a lot.

Since sustaining a tib/fib fracture of my right ankle in May however, it is back to square one with rehab... Damn if that doesn't make that achilles tighten right up!

Having said all that, still good advice to get it checked out and maybe even consult with a physical therapist about proper ways to get it loosened up and keep it that way.

Good luck,

d