[TR] Thunder Slam: - Goode NE Buttress, Storm King, Booker, Logan 8/1/2012

Steph_Abegg

Trip: Thunder Slam: - Goode NE Buttress, Storm King, Booker, Logan

Date: 7/29-8/3/2012

Trip Report:

7710645532_a548d32f65_z.jpg

Camping on the highest point in North Cascades National Park, the summit of Mt. Goode.

For six days (July 29-Aug 3), Brian Walkenhauer and I traversed through some of the highest and most rugged and beautiful terrain in the North Cascades, carrying our full packs over two of the highest summits in the Park and scrambling up two others. We included in our itinerary one of the most spectacular camp spots in the North Cascades: on the summit of Mt. Goode, the highest point in NCNP. We occasionally hit a trail, but only briefly before we scampered back into the wilder cross-country terrain. Besides for the first few miles on either end of the trip, we did not encounter a single human being the entire time.

I've posted a full trip report on my website with maps, route overlays, about 100 photos, commentary, and the adventures of a particular tiny stuffed mountain goat.

http://www.stephabegg.com/home/tripreports/washington/northcascades/thunderslam

Map of our daily GPS tracks:

7713460048_33f61a5049_b.jpg

Goode NE Buttress to SW Couloir carryover:

7713459662_3c03bf8658_z.jpg

7713456964_fd969b8474_z.jpg

7713457366_def5bfcb6c_z.jpg

7710640576_fff392332e_z.jpg

7710642494_e7c3bfd547_z.jpg

7710645772_7aacfd41be_z.jpg

Storm King SW Basin Route:

7713457702_fe40afaee6_z.jpg

7713458770_e7103c0525_z.jpg

7711021244_7aaa125261_z.jpg

Booker NW Route:

7713459068_8ee335421a_z.jpg

7713458096_4d1eac3c01_z.jpg

7711262546_46eec7c944_z.jpg

Logan Fremont Glacier to Banded Glacier carryover:

7713459354_9e857362d4_z.jpg

7713458450_28aa426eb8_z.jpg

7711267102_b2ee6b76d4_z.jpg

7711267358_d49d83f8d0_z.jpg

7711484704_babd6a0b68_z.jpg

7711485286_307b48c3e9_z.jpg

Again, the link to the full TR and many more photos on my website...

http://www.stephabegg.com/home/tripreports/washington/northcascades/thunderslam

Edited by Steph_Abegg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet trip! Damn I love that area; aside from maybe the Pickets that might be my favorite place anywhere. That Booker summit register is crazy to see. I can't believe 5 years have passed. Were there more entries on the next page? We did a similar traverse on that trip but climbed Buckner and Sahale instead of Storm King and Logan. The day before we climbed Booker we had made 10 scary raps to bail off of the south side of Megalodon Ridge on Goode, so we didn't actually summit Goode on that trip as the register suggests (though both Blake and I later climbed the ridge). I remember tired, sore legs on the walk over to Buckner. The north side of Booker is so overlooked for what it is. Cool cool cool and congratulations on the recovery.

Strong work Steph and Brian! Such a great area. You both should be proud.

We met you on your way down from Easy Pass as Keith and I were headed on a four day traverse from Hwy 20 to Cascade Pass headed over Logan-Goode-Buckner (didn't summit Buckner due to rain and lack of time). Two follow ups to your TR:

1) Regarding this from your website (effing awesome website BTW!): "We had a few reasons for wanting to descend the Banded instead of the more-typical Douglas Glacier: (1) we had heard tales about 'schrunds and 'schwacking on the Douglas Glacier route". The unnamed creek up to the Douglas Glacier was our approach route to Logan from the Fisher Creek Valley. This approach was relatively easy with not-too-bad 'schwacking. I kinda don't understand why it is not the standard Logan approach because it must be the fastest (about 13 hours from Hwy 20 to the Logan summit).

2) You were a couple days, and we were a few seconds, from near death in that left couloir heading to the Booker-Buckner col. This little story may make little sense, but where the couloir narrows several hundred feet below the top of the col in the below pic; there was a 'schrund that crossed the entire narrow part of the couloir that it appears you crossed on climber's left over what probably looked like a fat snow bridge/fin. The bridge was at least 25' thick (top to bottom) at the thinnest point and probably 20' wide, spanning about 40 feet horizontally across the 'schrund.

7713459068_8ee335421a_z.jpg

I assume you had to jump across a small gap at the bottom end of the bridge (which possibly was still closed when you crossed). On our last day (Aug 6), we were moving very fast out of Park Creek to cross that col enroute to Buckner and out over Sahale Arm. When I got to the 'schrund, I was planning on jumping across and waiting for Keith at the top of the col, but then thought that maybe roping up (for the first time on a glacier the whole trip) might be a good idea. Keith came up and we roped and set up a belay below the small gap. After I did a V1 mantle to gain the upper lip, I walked up and across the bridge and set up a belay above. Right when Keith was about to cross, the entire bridge sheared off the upper wall in a gigantic collapse! The bridge was so massive that huge chunks of snow came exploding off the rock slab 30-50' below raining over Keith! I don't have before pics, but my rope is running exactly over where the bridge was a few seconds earlier with the part in the lower lip I stomped out for the mantle move visible just a little up and climber's left from Keith in this photo:

BridgeCollapseResize_800x600_.jpg

This was the single craziest event I have experienced in 20 years of glacier travel. Anyway, Keith was forced to cross a way thinner bridge on climber's right. Sorry for the digression but I think we are the last climbers using this couloir this season...

Other than this little event and the rain later in the day, we had a great, great time too.

BridgeCollapseResize_800x600_.jpg

Wow, thanks for sharing your experience on the Booker-Buckner col approach. As in the photo below, we did have a fairly thick bridge. I stopped below it and asked Brian to come up to the right and take a look before I actually crossed it, to make sure it was thick and strong enough. I remember thinking that it would probably be within the week that the bridges on that crack would melt out and make access more difficult....looks like you guys were there to see it happen. Glad you weren't hurt!

7711259070_15789e8297_z.jpg

Sounds like you had a successful trip too. Did you bivy on Goode? I know you mentioned it was not in your plans....

-Steph

Edited by Steph_Abegg

7711259070_15789e8297_z.jpg

Awesome bridge photo, thanks for posting. I wish I took a pre-collapse photo. It was WAY fatter in your photo than when I crossed it and now not there at all.

"Did you bivy on Goode? I know you mentioned it was not in your plans...."

A bivy on Goode would have been spectacular, but we needed to keep moving to stay on schedule so we dropped down into Park Creek Valley and camped at Five Mile "Camp." Probably our only route finding screwup was not finding the climber's trail down Goode and bushwacking the last 2500' down to Park Creek. Way would we want to use one of the few trails on our entire traverse when we could 'bushwack instead - keeping it real yo... Were you able to stay on the climber's trail down to Park Creek?

Were you able to stay on the climber's trail down to Park Creek?

Yes, we just traversed left from the basin below Storm King until we hit it. It follows the rib above a steep drop off into an obvious gully. The gully is directly below Goode. The trail is quite distinct, and we were quickly down on the Park Creek Trail. I think the key is just keep heading left until you find it. Due to the large ravine, it's not really possible to head too far left.

Edited by Steph_Abegg